first cook

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I posted earlier this week wanting to do a turkey. I changed my mind and went with pork butt and ribs. I thought they might be easier for my first cook. 7# boston butt and 3 ~2# bb ribs.

I lit using the minion method.

I put the meat on at 6AM and at 6:30 temp at the top was 270.

I need to learn to have all of my ducks in a row the next time I start this early.

Mike

How much smoke is enough? I added 2 chuncks each of apple, cherry and oak at start up. Should I see a constant flow of smoke from the top?

All three bottom vents are about 30% open and I don't see as much smoke as I anticipated.

Mike

Mike,

You don't want to see lots of smoke pouring out the top of your WSM.

I'd stay with the amount of wood you've used for now. Next time, you may want to add a little more or maybe less, depending on your preference. Apple and cherry are milder than oak.

You should be fine. If your wood is burning good, you will not see alot of smoke, but you are getting the flavor. Too much smoke is not a good thing! Light smoke from the top is all I usually see, and the result is a good smoke flavor. Good luck with your first cook!

Wayne

You're not looking for a plume of smoke to come billowing out of the WSM. What you're looking for is a nice blue whisp of smoke. Clean smoke still has flavor. A nice, steady, clean burning wood will impart all of the flavor you'll need into your food.

When I cook ribs I use hickory wood. Six fist size chunks of wood placed on the coals and burned about an hour before putting the meat on is usually more than enough. My wife likes even less smoke than that. Experimentation is the key. Just don't worry because you don't see the smore pouring out of the top, it's still there and doing its' job!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back