First Cook with Wicked Lump

Dan Shakesby

TVWBB Member
Well, I am trying out the Wicked Warrior Weekend Blend Lump with 2 racks of beef back ribs.
I used a modified MM for this. Filled the ring with just less than half and started a 3/4 chimney of lump. Had lots of sparks when fully lit but once poured over the ring it subsided and all looked good after about 20 minutes with the cooker fully assembled. Took about 40 minutes to get steady 240 temp at the lid.
I am also using the Guru for the first time. The Guru is set at 225 and measuring at the lower grill and with lid temp (measured with ET-73) at 239-244 I think I am OK. Am smoking the ribs with cherry wood.
I'll let you know how things turn out. The WSM has been cooking for 2 hours so far. Time to flip and baste!!! .......later.....

Keep us posted.

I am 13 hours into a butt cook using Wicked Good Competition brand.

Woke up at 6 am, temps were holding steady at 235 lid. Replenished some water, lightly stirred coals......and there is a ton left!....I may have to go get some more meat, as it looks like I've got a 20 hour burn coming.

Everything went fine for the 7 hour cook. I still have to check the remnants of what is left. will do later today. the only issue was the flare up when i opened the WSM to turn and baste the meat. This needs to be done real quick as flames start quickly and actually come up the sides to the bowl real fast. This lump must burn real hot given plenty of oxygen.
BTW: where did you get the Competition Blend the web site said it was out of production until later notice? (at least about 5 weeks ago)

I got lucky and bought about 150 lbs when I found out they were losing their wood source.

I imagine they'll replace it with something similar, but it may take a while.

Ps- My burn is now at 16 hours, and have at least 5-6 hours left, ring is a little more than a 1/3 full. It was a calm night though.

Butt is at 190, and getting ready to wrap.

I would be curious about the weekend brand and it's length of burn. Maybe you could do a butt tonight????????

You've got me thinking now!!
But i'll need to hold off until next weekend. Pencil me in for a Friday night cook with the Weekend blend. Sounds like you are very pleased with the Competition Blend. I was really concerned at how easily the flare ups occur after opening the WSM. But then again I have not had much experience with lump.
Definitely lkook for my posts next weekend vis-a-vis a butt cook.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dan Shakesby:
I was really concerned at how easily the flare ups occur after opening the WSM. But then again I have not had much experience with lump. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The flare up was your smoke wood igniting when you opened up the WSM. It's very common especially after only 2 hours into the cook. Probably quite a bit of unburned wood still in there.
icon_wink.gif

I think Bryan is right, the heat from the lump is so intense that wood ignites within a few seconds.

One of the advantages of lump though is that you can get it under control immediately by restricting air flow.

Back