First cook with Thermoworks Smoke X and Billows

ChadVKealey

TVWBB Pro
I've been using a Maverick ET-732 and PartyQ (2nd gen) for years and while they've worked OK, I couldn't resist a recent sale on the Smoke X. I'm doing my first cook with it today (I have not done a "dry run" although I know I should have): two 10.5# butts. So far, I've noticed two things:
  1. The controls on the Smoke X are very non-intuitive. I had to actually consult the instructions (as a life-long tinkerer and IT guy, this was very unnatural).
  2. Even the lowest volume on the base sounds incredibly loud on the back patio at 6:30 AM (I think I woke the neighbor's baby up) and it's very difficult to control the volume (it seems to lag behind the button presses)
  3. I'm not a fan of the settings ONLY being adjustable from the base unit. On the Maverick, I can change the alarm settings, etc. from the remote, which is great, esp. in cold weather. Everything on the Smoke X needs to be changed/set on the base unit. Outside. In the cold. Using controls that are very non-intuitive.
  4. The Billows fan seems incredibly quiet. I know it's running, but even standing next to it, I can't hear it. The fan on the PartyQ sounds like a leaf blower compared to this. It's a much larger (wider diameter) fan, and being a squirrel cage fan, I guess it doesn't have to spin as fast or as frequently to move the same amount of air. Still, I had to physically touch it to make sure it was running.
  5. It seems to take a looooong time to get up to temp. I followed the instructions to a tee (exhaust open 1/4, all other intakes closed) and took an hour to get up to 225. I put the meat in and it took almost an hour to recover, even opening the exhaust to 1/2.
I'll see how it does maintaining the temps throughout the day (one of the benefits of "working remotely" these days). Thankfully, I'm cooking these butts for the weekend, so no hurry to get 'em done.

Well, as it turns out, the Billows was so quiet because it wasn't actually running. I cheaped out and didn't get the "bundle" that included the AC adapter (since I've got a half dozen other power adapters). Turns out it really needs 12V, and even the highest high-power adapter I have only puts out 5.2V. So, ordered the adapter and I'll run the rest of this cook the old fashioned way.

1. Even the lowest volume on the base sounds incredibly loud on the back patio at 6:30 AM (I think I woke the neighbor's baby up) and it's very difficult to control the volume (it seems to lag behind the button presses)
You should always keep the sound on the base unit turned off. I see no reason to ever have a beeper going on the patio.

If you are on the patio, you'll be looking at the visual display. So the patio beep is pointless. If you are not on the patio, then you are using the remote. Which means the patio beep is again pointless.

I usually keep the sound turned off on the remote too.

1. Even the lowest volume on the base sounds incredibly loud on the back patio at 6:30 AM (I think I woke the neighbor's baby up) and it's very difficult to control the volume (it seems to lag behind the button presses)
You should always keep the sound on the base unit turned off. I see no reason to ever have a beeper going on the patio.

If you are on the patio, you'll be looking at the visual display. So the patio beep is pointless. If you are not on the patio, then you are using the remote. Which means the patio beep is again pointless.

I usually keep the sound turned off on the remote too.
I've got the alarms silenced, but just the beep that sounds when you power on the Smoke X or press any of the buttons is loud enough to wake the dead (or at least the neighbor's kid). I haven't found a way to disable that entirely.

I've got the alarms silenced, but just the beep that sounds when you power on the Smoke X or press any of the buttons is loud enough to wake the dead (or at least the neighbor's kid). I haven't found a way to disable that entirely.
Same here. First overnight smoke tonight using my new smoke x4 and the button press beep is way too loud. Did you find a way to disable it? Other than that, the unit looks great, this is my first use.

LOL - Dan we have the same salt box but different colored Smoke X

I'll see if I can find a way to turn that dang patio beeper off. I had that thing too! If I crack the code, I'll post it. If not, I'm stealing Dan's idea.

Normally if you're taking a long time to come up to temp, it's because you didn't light off enough charcoal in the beginning. I normally use a "doughnut" minion method and rarely do I have temperature control issues.

Not intuitive? Hell it’s not hard...about as easy as it could possibly be. That baffles me...I’m not an IT guy and didn’t need to use directions

I turned off that dang Smoke X beeper!!! You have to look really close but when you are toggling thru channels, and hit the set button 1 time on a given channel, there is a tiny (5 point font) thing that says alarm on or off, and it will start to flash. If you hit the up or down arrow it will toggle on and off. I've had this goofy thing for about a year and never noticed. Here's a pick so y'all can see.

alarm off.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, the alarm can be turned on or off for each channel, and the volume of the base for Alarms can be set with the VOL button, and one of the settings is silent.

However, I have not found a way to silence the button press tones

edit: I'm chatting with TW tech support and asking them.

here's the instructions

View attachment 36072

copied from https://www.thermoworks.com/pdf/smoke_x4_operating_instructions.pdf
Tech support have any resolution? This button beep is not good outside at 3am

I cut a Q-tip into pieces and wedged them into the slots on the back. It is quieter, but not as quiet as I'd like for night time use.

the Q-tips are nice as they don't hamper the magnetic mounting and they won't melt like chewing gum might.

edit; Ok the Q-tips are a bad idea. They didn't stay put very well.

I'm now using two layers of HVAC foil tape.

Last edited:

Back