First cook with new smoker

Michael Stella

TVWBB Member
Well I just completed the first cook in my new WSM. I bought a cryo of pork butt that was about 18 lbs. Trimmed off about 3/4 lb of fat, and put on my modified Mr. Brown. It went on last night at around 8:50, temps were rock solid at 250 measured thru the lid using the Minion meathod. At 6:30 I gave the coals a stirr as the temps were down to about 215 at the lid. I just pulled both off and they were measuring 190 on one, and 188 on the other. They are foiled and in the cooler waiting for friends to come over to watch the Buckeyes game at noon.

Michael

I'll see you at 11:30
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a great first cook. What was the modification you made to the Mr. Brown recipe?

Great Job, My first smoked for 7 hours and the internal heat got to 170ish and I could not wait. Pulled Cut and Eat. It came out good but not great. I’m still learning patience.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jerry N.:
I'll see you at 11:30
icon_biggrin.gif

Sounds like a great first cook. What was the modification you made to the Mr. Brown recipe? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always make a double batch of the rub, but I don't double the black pepper. Not everybody likes the extra bite, and you can always spice it up on the bun.

Michael

Back