First Cook with Mesquite

John G.

TVWBB Member
I'm doing my first cook with Mesquite and was hoping to get some opinions on the proper amout to use. Typically, I've been using pecan, apple, hickory, oak or walnut.

I'm going to be cooking a 12 lb. brisket, 16 lbs. of pork butt and some type of sirloin that I've never used before and don't even really know what it is. I usually cook chuck roll but the butcher was out of it. Instead they gave me this other cut. It weighs about 20 lbs and normally cost $3.99 / lb. They gave me a deal because they were out of the chuck and sold it to me for $2.29 / lb. All the label said was "Sirloin".

When I use pecan I usually add five or so good sized chunks of wood. Maybe 4 x 2 x 2. I'm planning on using four mesquite chunks about that size and one peice of pecan. Think this minght be overkill?

Thanks,

John

Were it me, I would reserve mesquite for a beef-only cook, and then I'd use it conservatively-- 2 to 3 fist-sized chunks. Mesquite can be easily overdone, to the point of unpalatable bitterness, and there's no taking it back. For a mixed beef/pork cook, I'd think about pecan, or a pecan/hickory or oak mix-- heavier on the pecan.

Mesquite is certainly a stronger smokewood than you've been accustomed to using. But, obviously, you want to try it. If you have extra peacan avaialable I think I would go with an even split between them. That is an interesting piece of beef you have. Seems like an awfully large sirloin roast, but maybe so. If you see a large amount of marbling I would doubt if it's sirloin, but maybe beef shoulder.

I see Doug has already warned you about mesquite. I really don't think 1/2 and 1/2 would cause a problem, but I usually follow Doug's advise, so you probably should also.
icon_smile.gif

Paul

Thanks to both of you for the responses. The last think I want is 20 lbs of ruined cooked meat.

I'll just stick to the pecan/hickory mix. Next time I do a beef only cook I'll give the mesquite a try and see how it goes.

As for the cut of meat, we'll see. This place where I get some of my meat from has a very Central / South American twist to it. All the signage is in Spanish and they have many cuts of beef and pork that I haven't seen elsewhere. One they have is beef knuckle which I want to try smoking at some point.

The Doctor has spoken.

Whatever you do, bear in mind that it's the cuts with some marbling and intramuscular fat that do best in a low & slow cook. The leaner stuff is best cooked at a higher temp to no more than medium doneness.

So I take it you're not a mesquite fan Ray? If so, would you mind explaining why?

I've been hesitant to use mesquite wood because I really don't even like mesquite marinades. I figured why not try it once though, just so I'm sure.

I'd say try it once on a small piece of meat like a five pound brisket. I've used it a few times and didn't like the flavor.

i really like the flavor of mesquite and hickory mixed for smoking ribs, brisket and shoulder.

if im grilling rib eyes with charcoal, ill add some mesquite pieces right when i put the meat on.

I love mesquite, but ONLY with beef or buffalo. To me, beef & mesquite are a natural. Mesquite gets a bad rap around here, but I think it's mostly because it's so easy to use too much. Folks get used to throwing in 4, 5, or even 6 pieces of their usual smoke wood, and expect to do the same with mesquite. That's a formula for disaster. I recommend trying about 1/4-1/3 of your usual amount of smoke wood when using mesquite, at least for your first trial. Next time you can always add more.

Texas is cattle country, and beef with mesquite (done right) is delicious. Try some with a chuck eye roast or a brisket, or throw a small handful of chips on the coals with a tri-tip or steak. I think you'll enjoy the meal.

I use 'squite and like it. The Doc is a Q expert, but the food should be cooked to the way YOU like it, not the people on the board. You may prefer 'squite over other woods after you try it, or you may never want to try it again.
Good advice has been pointed out that it is a strong flavor, and to go easy on it. If you are unsure, try it on a smaller cook. I have even used it on chicken with a result I was very happy with. (I'm ducking for cover lol)
Goodluck, keep us posted, and have fun!

It's really strong and really distinct.

You run the risk of ruining dinner if you try it because many people just don't like it. Be sure the guests are open minded, and that they understand that it's an experiment if you try it.

I have found that a bit of squite in a foil package on the grill really adds a great flavor to salmon. Doesn't cook very long (about 15 minutes) so it is not "too strong". Have served this to many guests and everyone says it's the best salmon they have ever eaten. Maybe it's the sauce I use - anyway, without the squite it's not the same.

Ray

Back