first cook this weekend

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Drewery

TVWBB Super Fan
I will receive my WSM today and I am planning to do a turkey tomorrow. Any suggestions on what I can smoke with a turkey? The turkey will be a cajun turkey with a ground mustard/ worchestire sauce paste.

Thanks
Mike

I just picked up a bunch of different woods to keep on hand. I got cherry, oak, apple, alder and pecan. What would you recommend? I was thinking pecan and cherry?

Any suggestions what I can cook at the same time?

Turkey up? Turkey down?

Thanks
Mike

Mike-

You could try some ribs. Depending on the size of your turkey and the temp you plan to cook it at, baby back ribs (or loin backs) should get done at about the same time. I would cook the turkey on the bottom so that the turkey juices don't drip on your ribs.

Chris has some good rib recipes here in the "Let's Cook" section.

Good luck, and let us know how it turns out!

Rich G.

Mike, Oak, Alder, & Pecan are stronger flavors. Cherry and Apple are milder flavors. I like to use a 60/40 mix of stronger flavored wood to milder. I'd use maybe 3 chunks of Pecan and a couple of Cherry or Apple.

Mike and Jim
Alders is very mild we us it a lot here in the PNW, it's milder than cheery or apple.
Jim

Jim, thanks for correcting me. I was under the impression that Alder was more along the line of oak. I stand corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back