First cook this weekend

Dave W

TVWBB Member
So my bullet arrived on Monday, and since it got here I haven't been able to stop thinking about it, reading this site, and planning for my first cook this weekend.

I'm a veteran of cooking pork butts and picnics on the weber kettle, but I'm really looking forward to the experience of the low & slow effect.

I'm doing a rather ambitious first cook, going to put on two 6 1/2 pound butts around midnight (using the minion method). Around noon on the next day I plan on moving the butts to the lower grate and adding some babybacks using a shorter version of 3-2-1.

This is my first WSM cook but I am an experienced griller. Still, am I crazy for trying this my first time?

Any hints or tips from WSM veterans who have done similar cooks? Will I need to add more coals or smoke wood when I add the ribs?

additionally, I'm prepared with an ET-73 wireless thermometer.

I realize the butts should be getting pretty close around noon, so I'll be monitoring them closely.

Welcome Dave.
Hope you like the low/slow style the WSM gives you. Makes a big difference than a higher temp kettle cooks.
What time do you plan on eating, and what is your target temp at the grate.

Planning on eating around 5-6.

Going to shoot for 235 or so at the grate. Will foil the butts in a cooler while the ribs finish.

at that temp, I'm hoping the butts won't take more than 13 hrs or so.

Careful with your times Dave. My butt cooks average 16-18 hours running 225* at the grate. I've had some stubborn cuts go as long as 22 hours!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Russ Hazzon:
Careful with your times Dave. My butt cooks average 16-18 hours running 225* at the grate. I've had some stubborn cuts go as long as 22 hours! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? That long for a six pounder?

I plan on adding the ribs around the 12-hour mark, which should give me another 4-hour window to let the butts finish while the ribs cook. I'm just a little concerned about heat loss. But I also worry about keeping the butts foiled in a cooler longer than 3-4 hours.

The butts I've been picking up average 7-8 lbs and I've never had one cook under 16 hours. They're a pretty stubborn piece of meat when trying to bring them up to temp. Remember though, you can always finish in the oven if you're pressed for time.

Dave, I've left butts wrapped in the cooler for 5 hours before without any issues. If your getting late in your cook and you are not sure they will get done, take the temp up, take them into the oven like Russ said, or foil them, put back on the WSM. It's really a good idea to leave them rest for a while anyway before pulling/shredding.

Hello Dave,

Russ and Bob know what they're talking about and their advice is good.

For various reasons I don't serve butts but I've been WSMing for about a year. (Lot's of experience cooking and grilling many styles prior).

IMHO. For your first 1 or 2 WSM cooks you might want to consider something like ribs that doesn't take quite so long. That way you can get the hang of temperature adjustments and more importantly.... knowing when not to adjust the temperature.

Regarless, I'm sure you'll be fine. I remember during my first overnighter I was panicing and posted on this site and folks helped me through it.

Post as you're doing it and I'm sure you'll get lots of help.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Around noon on the next day I plan on moving the butts to the lower grate and adding some babybacks using a shorter version of 3-2-1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I get nervous about having raw meat dripping on cooked. I guess it's OK if the butts will be in there at least as long as it takes the ribs to get past 140 or so...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kirk Boorman:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Around noon on the next day I plan on moving the butts to the lower grate and adding some babybacks using a shorter version of 3-2-1. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I get nervous about having raw meat dripping on cooked. I guess it's OK if the butts will be in there at least as long as it takes the ribs to get past 140 or so... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point. I should probably play that by ear, and take into consideration how close the butts are to 195 before putting the ribs on. If it looks as if they are close I'll put the ribs on the lower rack.

Thanks for the tips and advice guys, I'll try to post during the cook and get some pics.

Hey Dave,
Just be carefull with the timeing. I cooked 3 boneless butts, one 4.5lbs., and 2-3lb'ers and they took 11 hrs. to reach 185F. (should have waited for 190F but we were too hungry!) Hey...Good Luck!

Dave--

You can also cook at a higher grate/lid temp so that the overall cook is a bit shorter. It's still low and slow enough for great internal rendering. I cook most butts at 240-255 grate (255-270 lid) and that works well for me.

Have fun.

i agree on the be careful with your timing i did 2 8lb butts last month and it took 20 hrs at 225 but its worth every mouth watering bite. good luck

2 hours in, butts went on at @ 11pm EST.

took awhile, but temps finally leveled off at 230*F at grate and seem to be holding steady.

Lots of smoke pluming out at first but now seems to be nice and mellow.

Gonna give it an hour and if temps are steady might try to get some z's.

This message board is awesome.

Had a couple of temp problems over the night.

Around 2 am temps had shot up to 175F at the grate so I shut all vents until it came down and then just cracked one to about 30 percent.

Then, upon waking at around 7:30 am grate temps had hit 205F. got it back up and cruising along at 230F at the grate now, with the butt reading 158F at the 10-hour mark.

Does this sound on track? I don't think my temp extremities have threatened this cook, I just attribute it to newbie impatience with the vents.

Dave,

Did you mean to say your temp shot up to 275 overnight?

A couple of questions: If you're using a water pan how much water's left in the pan? The water acts as a heat sink and can dampen some of the temp. fluctuations.

I also believe you're about 10 hours into your cook. You're probably OK but it might also be time for you to take a very quick look at your fuel situation. Add a little or very carefully stir the ashes.

Slow and steady with the vents but don't worry you're doing fine.

yeah that would be 275F.

Didn't sleep much.
icon_wink.gif

I checked the pan and the coals and there is plenty of both at the moment. stirred this am when the temps got low, knocked down some of the ash.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does this sound on track? I don't think my temp extremities have threatened this cook, I just attribute it to newbie impatience with the vents. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes on all counts. Patience is key as you're noticing--you can drive yourself nuts if you micromanage. The spike might have been some smokewood going off (in which case it would settle itself in due time most likely), a new breeze that was direct into the vent, a significant decrease of water in the bowl, etc.

Soon enough you will be able to anticipate the temp trend and set your vents accordingly. E.g., when you saw the 275 spike and closed the vents--soon after the temp started dropping you can get a sense of how far it will go and set your vents right then. Within 15-20 min you'll see if you were right (as you use the WSM more you will be right almost all the time--really!), make a minor adjustement or two, if needed, and go back to bed.

It sounds like your cook is going rather well. I'm guessing it is smelling great in your yard.

hour 15 approaches, butts moved to lower grate and ribs are on.

Coals were getting low so added about 20, pre-lit in the chimney. Pushed grate temp up to 155 hoping to push the butts past their 177F plateau and get the ribs cooking.

All's well, thanks for the tips.

Back