First Cook - Pork Butt / Temperature Control (WSM 22.5")

Nice pictures
I like your grommet. Weber is suppose to send me a whole new middle section with the silicone grommet.
It will take a few cooks to get the inside of your WSM coated to give you stable temps
Once you hit the stall at 150*ish did you wrap them and put them back on the grill to get past the stall?
I like the bone in, seems to be a little more tender and if the bone pulls out easily you know it is done
I have always let my top vent 100% open and I only adjust my bottom vents. You can also put cold water into the water bowl if you feel like you need to bring the temp down. Checking every 30 min is ok till you get things figured out
What was your total time on the smoker?

Thanks to everyone here who assisted me on my inaugural cook! Everyone ate until they were stuffed and thorougly enjoyed it. Plus, I have plenty left for the freezer.

Everyone enjoying and being stuffed is a good thing! So is leftovers in the freezer. I always make more butts than needed and turn the leftovers into tacos or enchiladas or throw it in my bbq beans. Or you can save up different meats and do an awesome looking chili like Guil did!

Once you hit the stall at 150*ish did you wrap them and put them back on the grill to get past the stall?
I like the bone in, seems to be a little more tender and if the bone pulls out easily you know it is done
I have always let my top vent 100% open and I only adjust my bottom vents. You can also put cold water into the water bowl if you feel like you need to bring the temp down. Checking every 30 min is ok till you get things figured out
What was your total time on the smoker?

Re: Pics --> thanks.

Re: Wrapping --> No, I didn't wrap. I stuck it out through the stall and was rewarded with a succulent chunk o' meat.

Re: Temp control --> Yes, prior to my purchase, all the reading I did on WSM temperature control spoke about leaving the top vent 100% open and only manipulating the bottom vents. In this first cook, I had to close down the top vent significantly to keep the temp low (and yes, I was using water, too). From what I'm hearing/reading on the boards now is that the temperature control will settle down: top vent will be able to be 100% open and I'll be able to only use the bottom vents for temp control.

Re: Total time on two pork butts (15.7 lbs total): 9.5 hours. I cooked them until achieving an internal temperature of 193*.

Thanks for the feedback!

Joshua - How many lit charcoal briquettes did you use to start your cooker?

When I do the longer cooks I'll light about 20 KBB and use that to start the smoker and I'll slowly bring my cooker up to my target temp of 250F. Usually will take about 30-45 minutes for the smoker to reach that temp.

Joshua - How many lit charcoal briquettes did you use to start your cooker?

When I do the longer cooks I'll light about 20 KBB and use that to start the smoker and I'll slowly bring my cooker up to my target temp of 250F. Usually will take about 30-45 minutes for the smoker to reach that temp.

This was my first cook on my WSM. I started with about half a chimney full. I'd estimate that to be 30-40? In hindsight, I think that was too many (?) .... Thoughts?

30-40 might be a little too much. I'll normally light about 20, and dump those over my unlit. I'll start with the top vent full open, and one bottom vent all the way open, the other two completely closed. When I start to get close to my target temp I'll start to close my bottom vent. It's easier to bring the temp up then to try and reduce the heat if you start running way to hot. I also use a foiled, empty water pan. Just keep cooking and youll find what works best for you, it took me quite a few cooks to get it all figured out.

After having just completed my third cook, I can see that temperature control is already leveling out. It's easier now to get to, and maintain, my target temperature. I guess the WSM just needed to get a few cooks under its belt.

I, too, had trouble maintaining temps doing ribs. Still, the ribs came out ok. I received a lot of help from people in the VWB forums. Keep asking questions. You'll get some good advice.

Back