First cook on WSM, where did I go wrong?

Johnny P

TVWBB Member
On my first WSM cook, I did 2 racks of back ribs about 2 lbs each on the top grate for 5 hours.I did have alot of trouble keeping the temp down. I would say that for the first 2-3 hours they were in the 270-285 lid temp on average, and the last couple I managed to get em down to around 230is. I never lifted the lid to check on them til the 5 hour mark since I was told they'd take 6-8 hours. I used the Minion method for charcoal, about 4 chunks of hickory, a primarily sweet & spicy rub, and no misting.

The ribs turned out very dark brown and rubbery tasting imho, and too smoky in flavour. I tend to think I overcooked em due to the rubbery texture and dark colour.

I have made ribs many times on my Weber gasser and they always turn out great, this time of year I would cook back ribs for 5 hours at 230ish indirect and get near perfection. I usually spray em with some cider vinegar/water mix the last couple hours.

This time I will use a bit less charcoal to attempt to keep the temp down and will mis them towards the end, maybe I'll have a more controllable temp now that the WSM has some usage. Any tips are appreciated. thanks.

It sounds like you cooked them a little too long. You are on the right track with not lifting the lid too often. However, I start checking ribs about an hour before I anticipate they will be done. I don't think it is necessary to mist them, but if you do mist with a vinegar/water mix, that would slow them down. There isn't a problem with cooking at 275 at the lid--some prefer the higher temps. Obviously, the higher the temps, the less time they will take, but I'm sure you know that.

Johnny P-

Were these pork loin backs/baby backs? If so, I'd agree that you likely overcooked them. In my experience, lb/bb ribs take more on the order of 4-5 hours at 230-240 or so. They are a bit leaner and more tender than spare ribs, and don't take as much time to render out the fat and connective tissues.

Wind is the bitter enemy of stable temps, so be prepared to be more involved with temperature control in conditions like you described (sounds like you did a good job), and adjust your timing expectations with the fluctuating temps.

FWIW, when I do spares, they usually need 6-7 hours at 230, but I check them at about 5 hours to see how they are getting along. Checking on your food OCCASIONALLY is ok, just don't peek every 15 minutes!!
icon_wink.gif

Get back on that horse and give it another go!

Rich

Though this might be a semantic difference, 'rubbery' suggests that the ribs were undercooked. If overcooked one would expect the meat to be a bit stringy and somewhat (or very) dry.

'Too smoky' suggests too much smokewood, which might also be the reason for the color. What size chunks did you use?

A 230 temp measured at the lid is too low, imo. A temp that low only prolongs the cook unnecessarily and does not make the ribs 'more tender'. Your original lid temps can work quite well (I cook higher than that). I think the problem was one of too much wood and not quite enough time.

It is important not to use time as anything more than a guide--and time as a guide will vary depending on cooking conditions. The ribs are done--tender and juicy--when a pick or probe inserted between the bones goes in smoothly with no resistance.

Thanks for the tips guys, did another batch last night and they turned out great...based on last nights results I think I overcooked the first try. This time I averaged sround 240 grate temp I took the smaller bb rack off after 4:15 hours and the larger one half an hour later..can'y wait to do it again. Also, I set up a better windsheild this time and the WSM was much easier to control temps this time. Used a bit less wood too.

Back