First cook on my first WSM yesterday and...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim_W

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, yesterday I took the shine off my first bullet. It was all that everyone said it would be. I cooked a large pork butt. I used the minion method. Lit at 10am...brought internal meat temp to 160, removed and wraped in saran and foil,put it back on smoker and brought internal temp up to 200. If I had dropped it, it would have busted like a watermelon! So tender it was unreal!!! Temps remained in cooking range until 6pm without ANY futher tending.I had to close vents to put out the fire... I think it would have maintained cooking temps all night! Needless to say, I think I'm gonna love it! I will get a larger water pan for it though.

Jim in north Alabama

What's this about using the plastic wrap and foil? Where is that recipe?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> brought internal meat temp to 160, removed and wraped in saran and foil,put it back on smoker and brought internal temp up to 200 <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>???????????????????? I've heard of doing this to brisket, but I don't think I've ever heard of doing it to a butt. How was the bark? Is the point of the Saran wrap and foil to help speed cooking in this case, since you made it to 200 in 8 hours?

Keri C
Smokin on Tulsa Time (who has never foiled a butt OR a brisket whilst on the smoker)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back