First Cook on Cajun Bandit

Bob Richert

Hi all. Yesterday I completed my first cook on my new Cajun Bandit converted Weber One Touch. I cooked a 4 lb butt. I used Bone Suck'n rub and Big Bob Gibson injection. Total time in the pit was 7.5 hours at an average of 246 F. Overall not bad for a first effort in my humble opinion. Details and pics at...

Cook Log and Pics

Great cook log! Your experience with the CB is like mine in that I generally end up cooking with the bottom vents closed. I've cooked on mine 4 times (I used my WSM or my SJ WSM Mini for smaller cooks), each time with a bit better temperature control, but the results have been excellent each time.

I recently picked up an older model Weber kettle with the three daisy wheel vents in the bottom bowl. I'm planning on swapping out the one touch bowl for the older bowl before my next cook and see if that yield performance more similar to my WSM.

I'm totally pleased with my CB.

Pat

Thanks Pat. I would like to hear how your conversion to the old three vent system works out. Even with the one touch fully closed I got an uneven burn with as if there was a major air leak on two of the three one touch "wings". One third of the charcoal never lit while it burned all the way to ring on the other two thirds.

Unevenburn.jpg

I love that log!

Did you build it yourself or did you find it somewhere on the intranet?

I control my CB the same way. Bottom vent closed completely and adjusting top vent. I can't figure out where it's getting air from because it fits so snugly and the door is so tight. Doesn't really matter though because it stays in range like that. I love my CB too.

Thanks for posting.

Thanks Justin...I made up the log myself. I want to make a few tweeks and then I will post a link to it for anyone that is interested. Glad to see I am not the only one with the CB temp control issue.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I made up the log myself. I want to make a few tweeks and then I will post a link to it for anyone that is interested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks much. Sign me up. The pork looks great; love the before and after shots!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gary H. NJ:
Sign me up. The pork looks great </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sign me up too. I kept a log for the 1st 6 months of my new addiction but I found that my handwriting was illegible towards the end of the cook after too many adult beverages
icon_eek.gif
Keeping a digital log would be great.

Awesome looking first cook!!

Something to think about if you are considering using the old daisy vent kettles. The vents positions for low n' slow cooks lend themselves the possibility to clog up from ash, as they are directly below the grate as opposed to the sides on a WSM. Main reason I settled on the OTS.

I have an ash pan from an old Weber/Sears Economy kettle, that sat above the vents, and had been using it in my Cajun Bandit until recently adding an ash pan assembly from an OTG.
It worked great, but the possibility of finding one is slim.

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

IMG_1471.jpg

The uneven charcoal burn is weird, I haven't experienced that yet!

Love the cook pics and your log, that is something I need to work on!

Hi Bob - Great looking cook. It's always more fun when they come out the way you originally wanted. Great Job. Love your log. Thanks for sharing. Bob B

Back