First Cook on 18.5 WSM - Updated w/ pics

Aaron Legge

TVWBB Fan
Just in from getting my first cook on my new WSM started.

Doing 2 racks of baby backs with BRITU rub and a 5lb chicken. Ribs are in on bottom rack which is holding steady at 235. Dome is 250. Chicken is drying out in the fridge

I plan on letting the ribs cook for a couple of hours at the lower rack and then putting the chicken on lower rack with ribs on top

Questions:

1) How long before I should put the bird on? (5lber)

2) Should I foil the ribs and then move the chicken up to crisp the skin?

Will post pics a little later on.

I would probably start the Chicken about 3 hours before the ribs should be done. If one is finished before the other just foil and keep warm in a cooler. Chicken is sometimes hard to get a good crisp skin unless you cook at higher temps. One thing you could do is make the ribs first and then the chicken. When the chicken is almost done add sauce to ribs and toss them on the smker to heat. Vince

At your temps that big of a bird may take 4ish hrs to finish unless you split, halve or spatchcock it. I would let the bird come up to near room temp to shorten the cook time to 3ish hrs.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks Glenn.

1h45min in I put the bird on, lower grate and moved the ribs up. I think in 2 hours I'll foil the ribs and rotate everything again. It's ok if the chicken takes longer, seeing how many ribs are there I'm not sure I can eat both ribs and chicken, and it will make great sandwiches for work this week.

Aaron,

If you want crispy skin take the bird off at 160F and put it in the oven at 500F until you get the look you want (try the broiler if you're rushing but watch it with the oven lid cracked). You'll get some carry over cooking that should bring it past 165 (breast / thigh issue always remains) The WSM isn't really a poultry cooker as much as we all try.

Good luck.

Ribs just got foiled with some Memphis Magic sauce from Smoke & Spice. Chicken's coming along, will see how crispy skin is, it dried out in the fridge for a couple of hours.

100_1459.jpg

Fired up the new WSM with RO lump MM and this bag of cherry wood that the guy I bought the WSM from included.
100_1454.jpg

When it's 5 degrees Celsius and you see the first flakes of snow of the year you've gotta do what you've gotta do to keep the 'cue coming.
100_1456.jpg

After foiling
IMG_0250.jpg

Chicken for lunches this week:
IMG_0247.jpg

Plated with some homemade mac & cheese
IMG_0253.jpg

Needed to warm up after being out in the cold
IMG_0254.jpg

Thanks to everyone for your help today. WSM held temps incredibly even with close to freezing temps and swirling winds.

I remember my first cook. I don't think it looked as good as this one.

Congrats.

And the beer looks great. Love the local brews.

Back