First cook for a crowd

Hey everyone, been cooking on the wsm 18 for about a year. So far it's been just for my family. I'm volunteering my services for my block party this year. I'm thinking briskits and butts. I was wondering how much uncooked meat do you guys plan for each adult and each child? Also how much can I realistically cook on the 18? I've read about butts over briskits etc and greatly appreciate and welcome any advice even if it is not something I asked. Ken

For the big cooks that I have done (ranging from 30 to 150 people) I have found that from a butt you can expect a 50% meat yield. I have been doing 4 oz. of pulled pork per serving and most of my butts are around 8 pounds (uncooked). So one uncooked 8 pound butt (boston or picnic) will give you roughly 4 pounds of cooked pulled pork which will serve 16 people. I usually go 10% over what I need. For briskets I have done one whole packer (flat and point) for every 10 people. All of this information I have got from people here at it is right on the money. Hope this helps and good luck.

It's been my experience with block parties that everyone cooks "something". The last big one we had in VA, we lived on a cul-de-sac and everyone rolled their grills out to the street. Sort of a grilling buffet.

With so much food, only plan on 1/4 lb per person and you'll have plenty. As Gerry said, with pulled pork, you get 50% yield, so an 8# butt yields 4# pulled / .25#per = 16 ppl.

Personally, I'd do the pork a day in advance and warm up the next day. That way you have something already prepared, ready to go, should any delays with the briskets arise. You also save yourself a ton of work and worry over a mixed cook.

You might also consider either pulled chicken or pulled beef.

I'd do a single brisket as a special "sampler" treat, mostly for the other cooks.

I'm facing this same sort of thing soon, but not quite such a large crowd. We're having a party, with maybe like 18 people coming. Its good to know about the rules of thumb for how much meat per person, Thanks a lot Gerry!

My plan right now unless I find something better in the forums between now and then.. is to cook the briskets the day before and slice them up. Put them in disposable roasting pans. The morning of the party I'll put them in a low oven for a while to heat them back up.

I'd like to offer an alternative to beef, so I was thinking about doing a turkey breast, but haven't really thought that through yet. I thought about some chicken sausage as an easy cop out for non beef people. :)

Thanks for the quick replies. I have 3 more questions, what is the best way to reheat the pork? I have a large electric roaster with a lid. Also how much time and what temp should I reheat? What cut of beef do you use for the pulled beef? Thanks, Ken

Ken, I use a large electric roaster for PP at my parties, it works just fine. You just want it warm, don't get it hot enough to start "cooking" again. Make sure there is plenty of liquid in the roaster so it does not dry out. I usually use a little apple juice or a very runny sauce, but K Kruger posted his recipe for a PP finishing sauce on here recently and it sounds amazing, and is what I will be trying next time.

For pulled beef use a chuck roast or chuck roll. I've only done one chuck roll but it came out great....and they are just about as easy as PP.

@Phillip
- I wouldn't slice up brisket in advance. It tends to dry out. Warm up the whole brisket with a little broth and then slice.

- Adjust rule-of-thumb for qty based on how much other food will be available. If yours is the only meat and it's all adults, closer to 1/2lb each might be better. If it's a bunch of TVWB'ers, even 1lb per won't be enough!
icon_wink.gif

- How about pulled chicken? I grill boneless, skinless thighs, rough chop almost like fajitas, and sauce them a little.

@Ken
- Roaster would be nice for holding meat at temp. I use 9x12 pans, covered with foil, with a little sauce, in a oven @ 200º for 45~60min.

- For pulled beef, I use any chuck cut - roast, roll, steak, whatever is on sale.

I usually use the sterno/foil pan set up but that is for keeping food warm. I usually slowly reheat in the oven in foil pans until at least 140 then put in a preheated cooler or cambro until I can put it over the sterno. Make sure the the water is hot before putting the food on.

Ditto with the not slicing of the brisket flat until reheated. Burnt ends I usually just reheat like the pork.

If doing pulled beef you can use the same exact process as with the pork.

Just make sure that you cool everything down as fast as possible after the initial cook and get it in the refrigerator as soon as possible.

Back