First butts question

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry Speirs:
Duane, I think I read on here that butts have diffrent muscle groups and those will hold diffrent temps depending where your probe is. I smoked a butt recently and when shredding I noticed a small part of it just didnt shred like the rest of it, still was good but I could for sure feel a diffrence, the overall butt though was well tasty and I have another one coming up soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gerry, I think that there are 7 distinct muscle groups in a Pork Butt. I could be wrong, tho. The "Money Muscle" furthest from the bone and cylindricle in shape, then several muscle groups attached to the bone and then the middle, no man land, between the MM and the bone muscles. Some only use the meat right next to the bone and the MM, especially for comp.

Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Gerry Speirs:
Duane, I think I read on here that butts have diffrent muscle groups and those will hold diffrent temps depending where your probe is. I smoked a butt recently and when shredding I noticed a small part of it just didnt shred like the rest of it, still was good but I could for sure feel a diffrence, the overall butt though was well tasty and I have another one coming up soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're right, Gerry. And that muscle combination can make for very different cook times also. Even with only a few cooks, I've had 8 - 9 lb. butts go for 8 to 16 hours!

And because of what you say, I usualy stick an instant read in at various locations and leave the butt until the lowest reaches at least 190*. Other areas going to 200 - 205 won't hurt, but I want to be sure it's all ready.

Rich

Back