First butt - which rub??

CJ Eichinger

TVWBB Member
I was originally thinking the Renowned Mr. Brown rub, as written... but I'm a bit scared it will be too peppery.

Is there a great, classic rub that can be suggested as an alternative? Something that the average pork lover would think of when you say "pulled pork"...

Thanks!

OK, well I should give Mr. Brown a chance, right? Is it going to be similar to what I'd get at a good BBQ joint, or does it have a totally unique flavor?

Bill... take a flyer? Never heard that before, and still not sure what you're saying!

I use Big Daddy's Song of the South Rub,

Some times I use. Seasoned Salt, Popdaddy's Butt Glitter, and Dirty Dalmation. (3 layer rub)

Daddy's Song of the South Rub
½ C Paprika
½ C light brown sugar
½ C onion powder
4 T salt
4 t ground nutmeg
4 t ground cinnamon
4 t ground thyme

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CJ Eichinger:
I was originally thinking the Renowned Mr. Brown rub, as written... but I'm a bit scared it will be too peppery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

IMO, the Mr. Brown rub is quite hot. If you decide to go with the Mr. Brown, and you are concerned about too much heat, you may want to scale back on the pepper in the rub. Some folks couldn't take the heat in the bark when I used the Mr. Brown rub. Just keep in mind that after cooking, you can add more pepper, but it's just about impossible to take it away.

I sure like one I found years ago, might have been here not sure. Credit to the creator just reprinting it.

Kevi's South of the Butt Rub:
4 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons cumin
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons pepper
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper

Back