first BUTT in resto-performer

David DeVivo

TVWBB Fan
So, a quandary...my sonIL buys a beautiful 8 lb butt for me and hopes to have it tomorrow around 6 for dinner with the twins ? OY...I can't get it on before 8 AM...which means, try to get her resting by 5 PM for a bit, before slicing and/or chunky pull. Looks like 9 hours in the heat.....can this be done....I think so ? with a foil crutch after 3 hrs of hickory-apple smoke and a little higher at the lid 275....some 6 hours, almost sounds OK ?? I'm open to suggestions, uh huh. Dave

Sure you can do this, David!

Cook the meat open until it reaches an internal temperature of about 165°F and then wrap it. Lay out a double layer of foil and then fold the two sheets together by crimping them from the bottom in about 3/4" folds. I do this about 4-5 times. Then fold open the two flaps and you have a very large single sheet of foil.

Now, place the butt in the middle, right on the seam you created, with the butt running directly along the seam. Fold up the front and back together and crimp them down tightly then crimp up the sides. Be careful not to puncture the foil in the process. Place the butt back on the cooker and take it to your desired doneness. Easy!

Running this at about 275°F is going to take about 4-5 hours from raw until the wrap stage and then maybe another 1-1/2 - 2-1/2 hours until done. Rest it as long as you can and you should be good to go!

VINCENT, thanks !!! I made an indirect " bin " with two nicely fit, full thick firebricks, foiling the charcoal grate with a drip pan , minion with 1 hickory and apple chunk mixed in with the K-Blue. Yipes, I think I will sleep tonight thanks to you and all the other fine fellows here.I shall post pics of the redo, loading and the sup. Weberfied at 71+ !!
Dave

Well, Vincent....everything you said came true...and I'm talking about well fed 2nd and third generations ! I'll add more as soon as I ( that means the wife ) figure out how and where to put pics up. Oh, tomorrow ? , 1-1/2" pork steaks, then I must find a slicer for the giro butt on skewers, then maybe take a break with a porchetta de testa, need a slicer again....any ideas ?

This is what I love about this site. Guy posts a question and not only does he get advice, he get's it from a multi-time Grand Champion in BBQ. The people on this site and their willingness to assist others with this great hobby never ceases to amaze me and quite frankly has definitely made a huge difference in my grilling and Qing ability. I may not have the dedication (or skill) it takes to do what Vincent and others to on the BBQ circuit, but I definitely feel I can hold my own in the back yard now. Very cool stuff goes on here . . .

Hey, David, happy to hear that it worked for you. Butts are very forgiving which makes them great for experimenting with different cooking techniques. I spent years doing all kinds of indirect grilling and grill roasting in my kettle before ever using a WSM. And, if you ever do decide to use a WSM, you'll be grateful for all the knowledge you are gaining by pushing the limits of your Weber Kettle!

Larry, thanks for the kind words. I really appreciated reading your comments.

Back