First Butt Cook Tomorrow

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I got a six pound butt freshly cut from the meat market and I rubbed it with mustard and a pork rub and wrapped it in plastic wrap. I plan on waking up early at start cooking at 7:00 a.m. Going to try the minion method for the first time and plan on cooking this butt for 12 hours. I was thinking of putting a drip pan on the second grate to catch some of the fat and juices from the butt to make a basting concoction for keeping it moist. Any other ideas or suggestions??

If this is your first time using the Minion method, be sure you allow yourself enough time for the WSM to get up to temperature. That is, get up early enough so that you're ready to cook at 7:00. If you're planning on 12 hours, you're looking at "dinner at 8" anyway (by the time you take the butt out of the smoker, let it rest awhile and pull it), so you probably don't want to go much later than that.

Bryan,

DO NOT PLAN ON 12 HOURS!!!!

Plan on 2.5 hours/pound or 15 hours for your 6 lb butt cook. Add another hour to get the coals lit, WSM assembled and meat on and then add one more hour at the end for the butt to rest and get pulled. Therefore, plan on at least 17 hours from start to finish. If the butt finishes early, fantastic, wrap it in foil and beach towels and put it in a dry cooler. It will stay hot in there for hours.

Basting a butt isn't necessary. It has enough fat in it too keep in moist without the extra effort.

Also, every time you open the lid to baste or fiddle with the meat, you're going to dump out a lot of precious heat and it may take 10-15 minutes for the oxygen feeding the fire and the temps to recover and stabilize. This, in turn, will add to the overall length of the cook.

I know it's hard not to on a first cook, but resist the temptation to open the lid any more than you absolutely have to.

Have fun. Sounds like you've got a great Saturday plan.

15 hours for pork butt???? Funny thing the weber cook book that came with the WSM states 6-8 hours for a 4-8 lbs. I don't really plan on eating any of it tomorrow. Actually it's for sandwiches for at work. I got all my errands done today so I figured I have all day to cook tomorrow. I wasn't planning on basting the butt very often, just when I was check the water pan or turning the butt. Anyways I will let you guys know how it came out later. Have a great weekend.

Don't depend on "hours per pound" estimates - each butt will cook differently depending on a lot of factors. Use an internal meat thermometer and shoot for 195* for pullable pork. The temp will sit at 160-165 for a long time while the collagen breaks down. This is what makes the pork juicy, so you won't have to baste.

You didn't say what cooker temp you are shooting for but 250-275 for pork butt is all right.

Happy Q'en!

Planning for a 15 hour cook means you are more likely to not have hungry guest waiting for your food. Pork butts vary in cooking time. Your enviroment (cooking temp, wind, sun, et.)can make a difference. If it gets done early, wrap it in foil and put in a cooler (no ice, insulation will help keep it hot). I suggest getting the pork butt to an internal temp of 190-195. I take them out and then wrap in foil for 1 hour before pulling. Yummmy! Ignore the book, there are people here who can make your smoking much better (they still are helping me /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif ).

Okay then one more question. I just spent a bunch of money on charcoal, some goodies for my mew One Touch Kettle, and 10 bucks on the butt. If I buy a cheap meat thermometer, do I leave it in the butt the whole time I am cooking or should I wait after say 8 hours before checking the temperature?? If all else's fails I will drink a few more beers and grill some burgers for dinner. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

All it has to be is accurate. Be sure to check it in boiling water, I'm guessing you are at or near sea level, it should read somwhere around 212*. If it does not, drink enough beer unitl you think it's right on. This is Q after all /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif .
I use a probe and stick it in at my guess at the half way point. Perhaps at half way, 3/4 of the way, checking more often as it got closer temp I want. Ever time you lift that lid it takes longer to cook. Don't leave it in the butt.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I use a probe and stick it in at my guess at the half way point. Perhaps at half way, 3/4 of the way, checking more often as it got closer temp I want. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>So basically what you're saying is the closer you get to the end of a cook the more you stick a probe in your butt? /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif Exactly what are you drinking anyway?? /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I'm sorry, lemmie rephrase that. Since I use a probe and put it in at the half way mark I don't open the lid again until I hit my temp. With a standard meat therm (the "el cheapo") I dont think thay are made to stay in the WSM all the time. Or am I wrong?

P.S. I do happen to be enjoying an adult beverage at this time, a little 126 proof Bookers. Justa a sippin and a grinin and watching Tracy and Hepburn in (what else) "Adams Rib"!.

126 proof Bookers! And I was soooo pleased with myself for picking up my special order of 114 proof Old Grand Dad today. Now I find I'm 12 proof shy of perfection. A new quest is born...!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back