First burn question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Studley

I recieved my WSM from Amazon yesterday and I need to know if I need to coat the inside with oil before the first burn?
I remember doing that with my Brinkman.

Thank you
Steve Studley

No. There is no need to season the WSM. The only thing different about a shiny new WSM that most people experience is cooking temps 25-50 degrees hotter on their first few cooks.

The reason being that the shiny new inside surface of the cooker reflects heat back into the WSM. The soot layer that builds up over time will serve to conduct excess heat out of the cooker, making temps even easier to control. So you don't have to kill yourself cleaning the inside center section and dome-- just brush off anything flaky.

You may want to fire the cooker up with just a little charcoal and through on some smokewood with nothing else in it just to get that layer started

Welcome Steve.
I too did as Bill> I got mine at work, took it home and 30 minutes later it was assembled. I did'nt have anything to cook but I HAD to do SOMETHING. I did the manly man thing and and fired it up with just charcoal. Felt Much better /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif . I did get some seepage (apparently out of the lower vents) that left a $quarter size spot on my deck /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . May want to put something underneath the first couple cooks till the smoke layer gets built up. Glad to have ya.

Thanks!!!
For all of the great advice. As soon as the snow melts away here (Colorado) I will do a test burn and get it ready for the Main Event on thursday.

This is a great forum. I don't know anyone else who smokes that I can ask questions of.

-Steve S

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back