First Build = Fail (but this is how we learn, right?)

It must be, since the v4.2 isn't connected to the 3.3v of the Pi. The 5v from the Pi would power IC4

So if it's not working on 12v, then the first place to check would be for 12v in and 5v out on IC1

I looked at your earlier posts and it seems you had the diodes installed backwards the first time out of the gate. The power from the +12v supply goes through D3 before it goes to the OKI 5V regulator, so you might want to inspect the traces around D3 to make sure they lived through removing and flipping it around (if you had to flip that one). Here is a pic of the power supply section for the HMv4.2:
HMv4.2.4PS.jpg

So a quick update. For the D3 that was backwards, I ordered a new one two years ago but ended up going to radio shack and buying a replacement part. Still didn't work and when the new one came in the mail I just shoved it in a corner. This weekend, I took out he radio shack piece and put in the one I ordered. Plugged it in and it worked...until I bent the piece a little bit and it a big piece of solder shorted out on the component right next to it. Oh well, it still works powered up with raspberry pi so I can monitor temps. I want to thank everyone that gave advice/helped me out with this build. I learned a lot.

With that said, I just happen to have a raspberry pi 3 sitting around doing nothing so I ordered up the kit for the 4.3. I already printed the bottom for the case last night and will print the top today. I also ordered up the soldering station that was suggested in the github. The kit is arriving today so I will be building this evening. My plan is the have a couple of beers (to calm my shaky hands) and take my time and double check everything. Any other advice? What temp should I be soldering at. Should I use a flux pen? Anything else to be aware of....

Back