First Brisket

Greg J

I am planning my 1st brisket this weekend. I have at least 20 butt or spare cooks under my belt, but never a brisket. Debating if I should foil. Any advice would be appreciated.

Greg J

Greg, A few questions for you. Do you have a whole brisket/packer or a brisket flat? Are you doing a low and slow cook or a high heat cook? If you just have a flat I would reccomend a high heat cook, with foiling.

Greg,
Here's how I do my briskets.

Cook with a dome temp in the 245-260* range fat cap up until the brisket hits 165*. If you are cooking a flat, foil and continue to cook until the brisket hits 190*. At that point check in several areas for tenderness with a meat probe, the probe should slide in with very little resistance. If there is resistance, continue to cook until you can easily slide the meat probe in, in several spots of the brisket.

If you are cooking a packer, cook as stated above, but remove the point from the flat before foiling the flat. The point will require several more hours of cooking to render the fat and to get tender compared to the flat.

Or what I like to do often is to remove the point and cook the point and flat separately, that's just a personal preference.

Hello...good luck on your brisket. If it is a whole packer I would not seperate the point until the flat is done. You can then cube up the point, say 1/2-3/4 cubes, put in a pan, throw a little sauce on and cook for another hour or two. You will have what is known as burnt ends...AKA....brisket crack. Dang good.

Here's a brisket we did after removing the point and cooking with the above method.

4-20-08014.jpg
4-20-08027.jpg
4-20-08057.jpg

I am cooking the flat only as I was unable to find a packer. Thanks for the advice. I will post a picture of the finished product on Sunday.

Also doing an overnighter on Sunday night for Monday with a couple 10lb bone in butts I picked up a Sams Club for $1.78 lb today.

Greg J

Back