First Brisket?

Dan Crafton

TVWBB Member
Going to do my third cook on my WSM this weekend. Last weekend I did my first pork butt, a 7LB bone in Boston Butt, and it turned out great. Did L&S for 13hrs when it finally reached 190dg. My wife & I agree it was the best we've ever had. I pulled the bone out with two fingers.

Anyway.....about this weekends cook. I want to try a brisket. I don't think I want to do a whole brisket (will just be the wife & I) and my local Kroger said they could sell me just the flat. Does the "flat" cook up nice on its own? I know there is a high heat cooking option but I first want to do the tradional L&S. How long should the brisket take per pound smoking at approx 225dg? Fat side up or down when doing just the flat?

Thank you for your recommendations,
Dan

The flats that I have cooked have turned out pretty well, typically 5-7lbs. I do mine fat side down low and slow. The main thing that I learned from other members is make sure it is probe tender before you pull it otherwise it will be tough and dry. Hard telling the time, I believe it comes down to how long it stalls.

Typically 1 1/2-2hrs per pound. I would go fat side down, the fat makes a bit of a heat shield. Try and get a flat that is as even in thickness as you can. From what I've seen on this forum the most common mistakes for new brisket cooks is not cooking it long enough and not letting it rest for 20-30 minutes after taking it off the cooker

I do whole packers just for myself, the leftovers are great. Portion them and keep them in the freezer.

My favorite part's the point so I'd hate not doing a whole one. The flat I slice up and have some of that night with the wife and freeze the rest. The point I stick in the fridge and when I want a snack or I'm getting dinner on my own I cube it up, cook it in a pot until a lot of the fat is rendered and then add in some saved drippings and/or BBQ sauce. It's really good and it lasts a long time in the fridge. You could of course also freeze half.

I've only done high heat so no advice on low and slow.

Thanks all for the suggestions. Going to fire up the WSM early in morning. Will try a whole brisket next time.

I sure appreciate all the help I get from this forum.

Dan

Back