First Brisket

Lee W

TVWBB Member
All cooked up and now I don't know what to do with it!!

Just finishing up my first brisket on the smoker. Things are looking (and smelling) good. Problem is, I don't plan on serving until tomorrow. Any suggestions on storing it and reheating?

Double wrap in foil or plastic wrap and refridgerate. Do not slice!Then tomorrow, unwrap and reheat in oven in a covered roaster saving any juice in foil to roaster. When ready slice & serve. Defat juice, make a sauce or serve plain. I usually add some of my rub to the juice and serve on the side.

Thanks for the response Steve, that's the direction I was heading, but wanted to make sure. The wife and I were thinking of pulling some for sandwiches and also slicing. Should we do the pulling tomorrow also? Or take part tonight and wrap the rest for slicing tomorrow?

Sorry for taking so long to answer. I had to get my car in the shop this A.M. A $475 brake job, front & back.

I've never heard of anyone pulling brisket. I've heard of chopped brisket. Maybe you meant chopped?

I'd wait on chopping the brisket until the whole brisket is re-heated. Once the brisket gets cut it starts drying out. Cut off a hunk for chopping and slice the rest.

I know its too late now but next time, when you pull the brisket out of the smoker , and intend to chop some of it, cut off your hunk for chopping, add a little more rub and put it back in the smoker for another hour or two. Use the chunk from the fatty end of the brisket. This piece can get chopped into bigger hunks and placed in your favorite BBQ sauce. Kinda sounds like burnt ends
icon_smile.gif

Lee,
If I am doing a big BBQ I always smoke the day before, wrap and then reheat before serving. You may want to add some stock or bouillon to it before reheating. I have found that waiting a day before reheating and slicing tends to intensify the flavor. Last week for the 4th I did 2 12 lb. briskets and a 13 lb. pork butt/shoulder on the 3rd and served it on the 4th. As usual we ran out of meat.
As far as left over brisket, we saute some finely chopped onion in chopped bacon, *** the meat and some medium to dark beer and let it simmer for and hour or two. Makes great sandwiches.

Back