First brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom_Landis

TVWBB Member
Well, I think I may have gotten too aggresive trimming my first brisket. It is going under a butt, but I am wondering if laying a few slices of bacon over top would be advisable too.

Wouldn't hurt. It's a common technique on brisket flats overly-trimmed by the meat cutter.

Thanks for the quick replies, I thought so . I ran out and grabbed the bacon as soon as I finished "butchering" the brisket. I will be picking up some new knives before I attempt my next one.

Tom,

It's my thought and understanding that if you have a good relationship with your butcher and you tell him what you are doing with your particular meats, he or she will leave the necessary fat on it to "self baste" or not run the risk of it drying out during the cooking process. At least that is how it has worked for me. I did a pork butt today(overnight)and it turned out wonderfully!!

BTW...how do you post pics on the site? I would like to show my butt off!

Greg,
You have to have an online storage site to host your pics. Just upload them to the site and use the link they give you. I use this site . It's free. /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

All this talk about brisket has got me wanting some. I found a nice one at Sam's today. It will go on Monday night. Brisket breakfast Tuesday!

Rick

The brisket turned out great. Everyone raved about it. In the end I think it would have been ok to leave off the bacon but better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back