First Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Schaeffer

TVWBB Super Fan
I am doing my first brisket. it is an 8.5 pounder. it is the only thing that I am going to smoke. Should I put it on the top or bottom rack?

Also, any suggestions for what smoke wood to use? I have hickory, apple and cherry.

Thanks.

I would put the brisket on the top rack as it is easier to tend to. As for smoke wood since you (and I) are new to the brisket just mix it up (experiment). You probably won't be able to tell the difference anyway. I have done three briskets so far and I am not to the point where I can tell the difference between the woods. I just know it sure tastes goood. Good luck.

Nate, I love your attitude: Smoke it, eat it, enjoy it. That's all that counts.

Scott, traditionalists would tell you mesquite for beef-- but you don't have any. I'd go with the hickory.

Pecan is awsome for beef(it's the only thing i use on brisket)IMO. If you never tried it do yourself a favor and get some. I'll be smokin my brisket today with some. Happy smokin Bryan

Mesquite... blechhh. I live just a little north of the Red River, and I don't like mesquite on anything. Just too harsh for my tastes. Pecan, now that's my favorite. Beef seems to take on smoke taste pretty easily, to me, and I've overwhelmed brisket with hickory. Pecan is a similar smoke but not as strong. Our stack for the logburner has twice as much pecan in it as peach or hickory.

Of course, though, by this time your brisket is probably done. How is it???

Just an update. The brisket cooked in about 12 hours. That is about 1.5 hours per pound. I used a couple chunks of hickory and one of apple to sweeten it up a little and it turned out great. I am going to try for pecan next time.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back