First Brisket - What size to buy?

JeffB

TVWBB Pro
I'm a newbie (forgive my silly questions) and want to try my first brisket on my 22.5. There are only 3 of us--2 adults and one 7 year old who doesn't eat much meat, so I'm not cooking for too many people.

1. What size (lbs.) do I buy?

2. I hear a lot of references to shoulder and butt--don't shoot me, but what do I look for on the packaging? Will it say pork shoulder or pork butt? My wife has cooked "pot roasts" before in our pressure cooker or all day indoor cooker, but I'm not sure this is the same cut of meat as a "brisket."
icon_confused.gif

Thanks.

It does not matter how many you are cooking for. For brisket, the best cooks, imo, happen with full-size packers. They generally run 10-18 pounds, with most falling in the 13-15 range. Barring that, get the largest flat you can find, preferably thick and untrimmed. They usually run 5-7 pounds. Thickness is more important whatever you buy. Weight, not so much.

What the package says depends on where you live and what stores you shop. Butt can be labeled 'pork shoulder', 'Boston butt', 'pork roast - shoulder', or any combination of these or similar.

'Pot roast' is a generic term. It is usually a cut from the chuck or from the round. It is not brisket.

1. I like whole packers which will probably be too much food for your family. I personally like 10-11lb range.

2. It should say pork shoulder or picnic. And for pork butt it will say that, or boston butt.

If you have a Sam's Club look there. They usually have both flats and packers and it's Black Angus beef(check yours to be sure).
The last one I did was around 14lbs and cost a bit more per lb. than supermarket but was well worth the difference. More meat less fat great flavor and texture.
Shouldn't be to concerned about the amount. It freezes great and will give you leftovers for those nights the wife doesn't want to cook. She'll appreciate that.
Steve

Steve, that's good to know. So I can cook it and then freeze what we do not eat. I was thinking that could dry out the meat.

We have Sam's club, but I've also read about Snake River Farms who sells a nice wagyu brisket in the 11 lb. range for about $70.

Steve,

Black Angust beef does not mean it is Certified Angus Beef. It must be labeled "CAB" or "Certified Angus Beef". I have yet to see a CAB brisket at Sams, but have picked up a whole CAB tenderloin there, same price as their normal Black angus choice stuff.

Jeff,

For your first brisket, I would not suggest going the SNF route at $7 / lb. The ones are sam's are ~#2.00 - $2.48.

I like the avatar, that's the way it is at my local courthouse. We had to wait around 20 minutes to get our marriage license, so I looked at my wife, said here is a great story for you to tell, and walked over and got my concealed permit application.

Good to know about the certified angus. Doubt that it said CAB but am certain that it was worth the little extra that we paid. Much better than any of the 4 previous that we had gotten at the grocery store.
Jeff
Agree with JSM about your first brisket. Try the Sams or other first and see how it goes.
For thawing the smoked brisket we put it in a baggie drop it in a pan of water and heat to a boil. Doesn't take long to warm the meat and doesn't seem to dry it out. If the brisket was a bit dry to begin with we might put a bit of sauce in the baggie to add some moisture.
You may already know but just in case. Smoke to around 195 but do not go just by temp.. Many use the poke test to determine when brisket is done. When a probe slides in smooth with very little resistance your there. Wrap in foil and allow to rest for a while. Allows redistribution of the juices.
Remember to report back. We want to know how it comes out.
Steve

I will do just as suggested. I received my Maverick ET732 in the mail on Friday and I'm dying to try it out. Let's hope for good weather this weekend.

In terms of timing, I'm expecting that any brisket will take in the 10+ hours range. Is that a fair assessment?

1.5 hrs/lb is a good general guide. With the Maverick you will be able to sound an alarm at any internal temp you choose. I use 190. From there I use the probe to test for tender. Mine is usually between 195 and 200 when tender.

If you do a packer do a search for "burnt ends". My family likes them as much and maybe more than the sliced brisket.
Steve

I only cook packers at poundage of 10 to 17. All take ~4 hours, but I cook high heat only, much preferring it over low/slow. For low/slow you are usually looking at about 1.25 hours per pound - but use that to estimate cook time. Always cook till done - meaning tender of just shy of tender - not by time nor internal temp.

Jeff, one small caveat. Depending on where you're located, finding full-packer briskets may not be quite so easy. I can tell you in northern NJ (suburban NYC), forget Sam's, Costco, BJs and even Wally-world. The only places I've found are local butcher shops for at least $5 a pound (one was $6.99, Choice!) and a wholesale meat packer that happens to have a small retail counter as well.

I think the further south and west you go the easier it is to find 'em.

Agree with KK. If you can only find flats, don't trim if it has a fat cap, it works good as a heat barrier and do it cap down. Even if you go low n slow use foil at 160ish internal to even the brisket doneness out!

Butts can be labeled lots of diff stuff, however a Picnic is the leg portion.

Back