First brisket..... so-so

Ron A

TVWBB Fan
After months of cooking ribs, butts and bacon, I finally tried a brisket. From a visual standpoint, the finished product looked great. From a taste standpoint, it was much less than I was hoping. Here's the details:

Meat: Appox 3 lb brisket "point" purchased at a local butcher. He trimmed it for me leaving about 1/4" layer of fat.

Rub: Mixture of equal parts dark brown sugar, kosher salt, paprika, chili powder and black pepper (with a dose of garlic powder and cumin). Rubbed, wrapped in plastic and chilled overnight (about 14 hours) in fridge. Removed from plastic and brought to room temp the following morning.

Cook: 18.5" WSM. Minion . Used 3/4 full of KC, 4 chunks of hickory, one of cherry. Heated WSM to 240 and put the brisket on the top rack, fat side up. I did not turn the brisket or make any other changes during the entire cook. I was able to maintain a temp of about 235-245 for the entire cook. I was expecting the cook to take about 4.5-5 hours. My plan was to do a tenderness check at 185 degrees. However, at the 5.5 hour mark, the meat was still at only 170. It did not hit 185 until about 6.5 hours but was NOT probe tender. I let it cook for another half hour and took it off the WSM. I let it sit for 15 minutes, then foiled it and put it into the cooler.

Finished product: Visually, it looked GREAT. The bark was both sweet and spicy, there was a nice ring and it sliced up nicely. Taste-wise, it was just OK. It was lacking in juiciness and and was a bit on the dry side. Some Sweet Baby Rays helped, but not enough.

So.... where did I go wrong? Was it overcooked? I can't imagine it being undercooked since it only weighed about 3 lbs and was on the smoker for about 7 hours. Did I use too much salt in the rub or leave the run on too long before cooking? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Im thinking you undercooked it. Some of the guys here say they take their temps up to 200-205. was it probe tender when you pulled it? How long did it sit in the cooler.
If I let mine sit in the foil too long I've noticed it can dry out some there too. Looks like you took good notes so you should try again and just change something up to see if it gets better.

BEWarre: The brisket tip was only about 3 pounds. Could it have really been undercooked after 7+ hours in the WSM at 235-245 degrees? I used a wooden skewer and it went into the meat with no apparent resistance when I took it off the rack. After 7 hours on the cooker for a 3 pound cut of meat, I figured it HAD to be done by now. I let it sit in the cooler for about 1 hour.

If it's dry but not crumbly, it's probably undercooked. If it's dry and crumbles at the edges when you slice it, it's probably overcooked.

If it's dry but not crumbly, it's probably undercooked. If it's dry and crumbles at the edges when you slice it, it's probably overcooked.

It sliced up nicely and did not crumble at all. I guess next time I'll cook it even longer. I just have a hard time believing a 3 lb tip of brisket would take over 7 hours to smoke at 234-245 degrees.

Ron its hard to say without being there with you but thats what it sounds like to me.
I know 7 hrs sounds like a long time but as they say each piece of meat is different and its done when its done.
Good luck with your next one.

Back