first brisket smoke

Aaron B

hi everybody, tomorrow im having company over and im serving brisket. problem is this is the first time ive ever done a brisket and i have a few questions.

1. if i plan to serve in the afternoon, say 4-5 pm should i plan for an overnight cook?
2. if i do cook overnight is a remote thermometer a must have? (i don't have one)

any other input would be much appreciated.
thanks guys!

doh! sorry guys, it was a 13.5 lb packer cut brisket, trimmed down, with about 1/8th inch fat cap left.

You can do a high heat cook.You'll have plenty of time and the brisket will be just as good as if you did a low/slow cook. Here are 11 pages of reading material on the high heat method.
icon_smile.gif

I only do flats, but I always use this method and the brisket always comes out great.
Have fun and get some sleep.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/...54&s=98110183&cdra=Y

well i couldn't help myself, i just had to go with the low and slow. the wsm ran about 250 for about 13 hours. i then foiled the brisket under some towels for about an hour until everyone was here and ready to eat.

it turned out great, except there wasn't much of a smoke ring for some reason.

thanks for all the help guys, here is the finished product.

<p>
DSC06743a.jpg

<p>
DSC06742b.jpg

Looks really moist, and I love the bark you have going there.

I have family coming this Sunday and I promised them brisket....so I'll be going strong this weekend as well!

Arron,

That brisket looks great! Was the meat moist? It looks like it in the up-close pic.

Also, at what temp did you pull the brisket?

Thanks,
Joe

hey Joe, yes it was moist. there was a few spots in the flat that i thought could have been a little more moist but then again I'm my own harshest critic. Everyone else thought it was great.

I pulled it a couple of degrees under 195, maybe 193 or 192.

Regarding the smoke ring, did you put the meat on cold? That helps with the smoke ring

Yeah i actually did put the meat on cold, it had been out of the fridge maybe 10 minutes at the very most before it went on the smoker. maybe I'll add more smoke to the beginning of the cook next time.

i stopped putting wood chunks in after about 4 hours, i figured it wasn't going to take anymore after that point. is there at temp range at which the smoke ring stops forming?

Back