First Brisket Smoke

Kevin K.

TVWBB Member
I finally took the plunge and decided to give a brisket a try after mastering (according to my wife and kids) pork butt and baby backs. I bought an 11.5 Select pounder at WalMart and applied the rub highlited in Chris Allingham's "Midnight Brisket and used 3 fist sized chunks of cherry and 3 of hickory.

The brisket went on at 8:30 last night and I attached my new DigiQ II for the first time. I planned to cook at 330* to an internal temp 200* and the DigiQ held it there throughout the night. For the first time I got a good night sleep on an overnight cook! I didn't have any apple juice for a baste but did have a small bottle of white zinfandel so we'll see how that does. This was sprayed on after 9 hours on the WSM. I plan to spray the zinfandel again 4.5 hours later.

It's now 9:00AM and the brisket's at 180* and the DigiQ continues to work its magic.

Stay tuned for the final results!

Sounds great.

I threw on my first brisket last night @ 10:30. I am shooting for temps b/t 220-250. So far , so good!

Looks like we'll both be eating well today.

Pulled the brisket at the 200* mark and measured temps at several points on the flat and point and average temp was 195*. Wrapped in foil and rested in a cooler for 3 hours. Portions of the flat were actually a little difficult to slice as the meat was so tender. The point was a little fatty so I chopped this and we'll use it in soups where it will add some great flavor. The extra boiling should tenderize these pieces even more. We had the sliced flat for dinner and the family loved it!

Kevin
Pull the brisket off at 190 internal and place in the cooler, you will find you won't have the pot roast texture normally more moisture.

Many will sperate point from flat at this time and let it cook a little longer.
Jim

Thanks for the advice Jim. If the point is separated and put back on the smoker, at what internal temperature should it then be pulled?

Jim, I'm mid brisket cook and I'm curious, where "exactly" do I separate the point from the flat? How does one know where to slice? I've never been able to figure that out . . . but on the other hand, I've never had a brisket turn out good enough to worry about it.

Back