First Brisket packer

Looks good from here!
You say it was fatty. And in you plate I can see lot of fat not still melted. But, is it sliced point or flat? I bet point. Am I right? If yes, probably you should have cooked point long after separating it from done flat.

Why? The whole thing should have been re smoked. By the book cutting is irrelevant at this point. It needs to be smoked through to begin with and then cut by preference. We don't always go against the grain here.

That's just an undercooked slab. You can serve it that way but it's similar to what it would look like if you just cooked it in the oven. Or prepped it for corned beef. There's nothing wrong with it. It's fine but it's fatty just because it wasn't smoked through and grease drippy for that same reason.

If you're new at it, that's a good one. Try to leave it the full time next time and just compare. That's all. And ask me to send a few, I hate to see you pay $100 for that. We pay $25-30 for one. Please PM me next time.

Not enough heat or smoke. That's all. There was nothing to rest. And yes the fat didn't render. If he trimmed it to 3lbs it should have melted like pot roast.

Slabs are meant for abuse and mistakes, it's probably the only cut that you can't mess up unless you pull it too soon. It needs to be left there. Forgotten. Turned to the different smoke directions but that's it. Just leave it. Don't probe, don't measure, just wait. And anything after 12 hrs is a good time.

He could have put it back on at this point another 4-5 hrs. These things have fat throughout the meat so it will re smoke real nice. Look at New Braunfels smokehouse online, when I worked there, we re smoked mistakes and gave those exact directions for delivered slabs.

I have to disagree with just about all of this. A brisket most definitely can be overcooked. When done so, it will be dry and crumbly. For "mistakes" that have to be fixed, you are basically talking about reheating a cold brisket and adding ore cook time. Just getting it warmed up will take upwards of 2 hours. If it was undercooked to start, you add additional time for the brisket to "finish".

That's just an undercooked slab. You can serve it that way but it's similar to what it would look like if you just cooked it in the oven. Or prepped it for corned beef. There's nothing wrong with it. It's fine but it's fatty just because it wasn't smoked through and grease drippy for that same reason.

If you're new at it, that's a good one. Try to leave it the full time next time and just compare. That's all. And ask me to send a few, I hate to see you pay $100 for that. We pay $25-30 for one. Please PM me next time.

Thanks for the info, and I may take you up on that!

I have to disagree with just about all of this. A brisket most definitely can be overcooked. When done so, it will be dry and crumbly. For "mistakes" that have to be fixed, you are basically talking about reheating a cold brisket and adding ore cook time. Just getting it warmed up will take upwards of 2 hours. If it was undercooked to start, you add additional time for the brisket to "finish".

I haven't cut into the flat yet, except for one small corner, and it seemed plenty tender, and more like the texture of brisket that I'm used to.

I'll admit to being a total newby when it comes to brisket, I don't think I've ever had any cut from the point before, so perhaps it's just my expectations that are wrong. The meat was tender (easily cut with a fork), and very juicy, but not with the "crumble" I'm familiar with when it comes to brisket.

I think for your first go you did a fine job David. You pulled it at 190 and thats kinda where I start to probe for tender.
If you would have let it go to say 200 that could have taken you another 2hrs and a 10hr cook sounds a little more in line with what you were thinking it would take.
Maybe next time let it go a little longer and take notes to see if you liked it better or not.

Bottom line is if you thought it was good and the people who ate it thought it was good....it was good.

Back