First Brisket on Saturday, A couple of questions...

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hello all,

The brisket is soaking in a wet rub as I type. I plan on using the "oven finish" tomorrow. My question is, Do I send the brisket to the oven after x amount of hours, or do I wait until it hits a certain temp? I plan on smoking it for around 8 hours with pecan wood. Also, I noticed when I trimmed the brisket (13 lb.), the flat had a few areas that were shiny, almost see through. I suspect some form of muscle connector. I started to remove them but I quickly learned that if I pull them up with a knife, it would bring red meat with it. What is this, and is it normal? Will 2 chimneys full of Kingsford be enough for the entire time? Thanks for your help.

Darrell

Hi Darrell,

From the intro in the article:

"These briskets were smoked for eight hours to an internal temperature of 165-170*F, then wrapped in foil and finished in a 300*F oven to an internal temp of 205*F."

Don't worry about the time, just take the brisket to 165*F as measured in the flat section, then foil and move to a 300*F oven.

Also, don't worry about the shiny stuff on the flat. Just some connective tissue, it won't be a problem.

Have fun,
Chris

WHOAAA Darrell!! A Texan finishing his brikset in the oven??? Hope your friends aren't reading this! LOL

You can accomplish the same thing on the WSM. Just foil and let the temps rip. Then you don't have to worry about heating up the entire kitchen. Besides, how impressive is that for guests...taking a BBQ brisket out of an OVEN??? LOL

I do this if I ever need to hurry up a cook. It is very easy to get that temp up around 300?. Give your coals a good stir and then leave the side door off for a while and it will climb right up.

Just my thoughts on the infamous "oven finish".

i HAVE NOT USED THE OVEN... BUT DID HAVE TO USE FOIL.... (AFTER TOO MANY CLYDESDALES, CAUSED ME NOT TO BE COHERANT TO LITE THE MINION AT 2:00A)

IF YOU HAVE PEOPLE COMING OVER FOR YOUR FOOD..... WATCH THE TIME AND CHECK OUT THIS SITE. i FOUND THATR FOILING WILL BRING TEMPS UP IN THE FINAL 2 HOURS FOR PROK BUTT AND BRISKIE.. USUALLY 165 TO 190 IN FINAL 2 HOURS....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back