First Brisket on 22.5 WSM

Michael C, thanks...yes, we do love our brisket down here.

Steven, yes...I did put water in the pan. In fact, I have on all 5 smokes I've done so far.

Barb, thanks...I love a good bark.

Justin, I hear you...that's how I was on my stick burner. I just had to try some of the "low and slow" I've been hearing about forever.

Cliff, thanks...it was a pretty site when I finally took that lid off. Made me smile.

Rich, thanks...this WSM is so much fun. It does all the work and I get all the credit. I think I worked harder than my old stick burner, and that wasn't fair.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I appreciate it.

Hey Rusty, yeah...I probably did it backwards. I've always considered myself a purest when it came to smoking meat. And, for the most part, I've always enjoyed sitting out there drinking whiskey and watching that stick burner, adjusting vents, adding wood, keeping TBS, etc., etc., etc. And, I got to where, as I've gotten older, "for the most part" has gotten to be hardly never, as I could always think of something else I needed to be doing. And, I've been debating on buying a 22.5 WSM or an XL BGE for years...I just never would do it, as it just felt more manly to barbecue on that big old heavy stick burner. Finally, after getting tired of spending so much time and working so hard to smoke anything, I said I was going to buy the WSM, the XL BGE, or I was going to spend a lot of money and go for a reverse flow Lang. And, my wife said I'd try the WSM or BGE first...and I still haven't given up on the Lang. So, once I saw how great the WSM is, and how easy it is to use, I didn't think I'd ever use that stick burner again. And, if I ever do go back to a stick burner, it will be either a Lang, Klose, Horizon, or East Texas Smoker Co smoker...all in the $2500-$3500 range. And, I can buy a heckuva lot of WSMs for that. ;) And, another reason is I wanted to get that beast off my patio. BTW...I also just sold my Weber Genesis 330. After buying the 26.75" Weber kettle last year, I never used the propane Genesis, so I got it off my patio as well.

Well that is a hell of an explanation :). We are on the same page on the East Tx Smoker and the Lang (REALLY like the lang when i decide to make the move to something with capacity).

As much as I am getting more back into smoking and charcoal, I still use my Genesis atleast 3 times a week. I am trying to get to the place where i am setup good enough that i can get the Kettle setup and lit QUICK enough to use it for dinner on a weekday without the wife complaining at how long it takes.

BTW.. GREAT looking cook you had there. Good luck w/ the WSM.

rb

Thanks Rusty. Someday on one of the bad-boys! But, until then...this 22.5 WSM is an amazing piece of equipment. The next thing I want to test smoke on it is beef ribs. I have to say, I could smoke them to perfection on my old stick burner. I just hope the WSM does me justice on them. THIS is my favorite meat to smoke and eat...nothing compares.

IMG_6225_zpsunk3tcwr.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For now, everything I want to do, I can do with one of these. Take away the stick burner in the background, and I'm all set, for a while anyway. And, have a lot more room on the patio with the Genesis and Wrangler both gone. I've found I can have this 26.75" Kettle ready almost as fast as I could the Genesis anyway.

IMG_7388_zps1qpjvthb.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

My philosophy is you want to cook as low as you can and at the same time get through the stall as fast as possible. The stall is the beef losing moisture. So I like 275 and will only go as low as 250.

Nice first brisket Mick, you'll have the process dialled in quick I'm sure given your experience. I know when I first started with my WSM I was really happy with how economical it was with fuel and smokewood. There's also a thread about high heat brisket on this site that speeds things up, you may or may not want to try that route.

Let us know how the beef ribs turn out when you give them a try.

As much as I am getting more back into smoking and charcoal, I still use my Genesis atleast 3 times a week. I am trying to get to the place where i am setup good enough that i can get the Kettle setup and lit QUICK enough to use it for dinner on a weekday without the wife complaining at how long it takes.

rb
THIS ^^^^ Rusty, sounds like you're in the same boat as me. Wife complains about how long it takes for the Genesis to warm up, never mind the charcoal grill. I'd love to do charcoal every night, but until I quit my job and be a stay at home husband, not going to happen.

Mick, it's 6:30 in the morning and you've got me drooling over brisket... you seem like exactly the kind of guy I could hang out with! Smoking and grilling is meant to be enjoyed with some adult beverages, but I can't keep myself from puttering around outside on something all day at the same time. Nice work!

Back