First Brisket is On!

Derek_Marsh

TVWBB Super Fan
First Brisket is On! - Finished on Pg. 3

Well,

Picked up my first ever brisket yesterday. Did a nice rub from Big Bob Gibson's book and let her rest overnight in the fridge. Here she is, all ready to go this morning:

9698129589_c146faec0d_c.jpg

And here is the set up:

9701365480_85e8d03226_c.jpg

Oh, and did I mention, this is my first ever run with lump as well! One chunk of mesquite and the rest is hickory in there.

And the obligatory lighting of the fire:

9701363940_609dcb1e2a_c.jpg

Wish me luck and I will post the completed cook later on!

Derek

Last edited:
Looks like a great start, can't wait to see the end product.

Well,

Picked up my first ever brisket yesterday. Did a nice rub from Big Bob Gibson's book and let her rest overnight in the fridge. Here she is, all ready to go this morning:

9698129589_c146faec0d_c.jpg

And here is the set up:

9701365480_85e8d03226_c.jpg

Oh, and did I mention, this is my first ever run with lump as well! One chunk of mesquite and the rest is hickory in there.

And the obligatory lighting of the fire:

9701363940_609dcb1e2a_c.jpg

Wish me luck and I will post the completed cook later on!

Derek

Thanks!

Brisket temp has climbed very quickly from an initial 43F when I first turned the Maverick on to 154F in about 2 hours. Seems to be a bit quick IMO. But, as I know, it will be done when it is done and I am likely to hit the stall here very shortly. But it does seem to have come up rather quickly.

Do you guys all foil around the 160F mark?

Oh, and I have been running pretty consistently at 245-250F cooker temp. Been harder to control the temp with the lump. Again, first time using it and I guess I shouldn't have picked a brisket to try it out with!

Looks great, I've been wanting to do my 1st brisket also. And interested in your thoughts on lump. HD had 40 lbs of KB for $4.88, I got 160 lbs so won't be using lump anytime soon but want to one of these days. What temp are you cooking the brisket at?

I just changed my probe location to a slightly thicker portion of the brisket and its about 154F. So I think I am OK.

Alan - Lump definitely runs hotter than bricks. I have noticed that right away. I have two bottom vents closed off and one just barely open and its running at 250F. I am thinking that I need to use the bricks in the WSM and use the lump for the grill. But it is the first time and I may have lit more lump than I should have to get things going as well. So one more run with the lump is indeed in order to see for sure though.

Derek just a couple of quick thoughts, sounds like you are cooking a decent sized brisket flat, so far my experience with the flats is they tend to dry out quickly, when you see you have a decent bark formed, should be around 160 internal I would foil that puppy with a little AJ and ACV. You can do that with doubled foil or do it a aluminum tray foiled on top which is what I do.
When it gets around 185 internal start checking for tenderness and take that thermometer right out of the meat, when your temp probe or skewer goes in nice and easy with little resistance take it out, leave it uncovered on the counter for about ten minutes so it stops cooking, then put her back in foil and insulate or serve whichever you are going to do time wise

Oh, lump burns hotter for me too, I use it only when I want to maintain temps of 275 and up. I use Stubbs charcoal for everything low and slow

At 160F now. Added a mix of water, Worcestershire, S&P, onion and garlic powder. All foiled and letting it go now.

Thanks for the help Bill. Much appreciated. I have read a lot about doing briskets here and in "Big Bob Gibson's" & "Wicked Good BBQ", but until you do one, you never know!

Oh and when you foil you will get a bunch of Au Jus. Use a fat separator and make some really delicious gravy on the stove with a little diced onions sauteed first and then the Au Jus.

Thanks guys!

Paul - Was in such a rush to get the thing foiled that I neglected to take any pics! DOH!!! Finished product will be posted though. No worries there.

Still chugging along. 4.5 hours in and brisket is at 167F and cooker holding at 235F now.

WOW! Internal temp on the brisket in the last half hour has shot to 180F!! Super fast. Faster than I thought it would do. This is gonna be done way earlier than I thought it would be. I know I can wrap it and hold in cooler for a while, but I don't think I can hold it for the next 4 hours!

Any suggestions?

I've heard people say that you can't trust a maverick food temp probe when you wrap the meat in foil, which I've never understood.
Any feedback from the pro's here, do you need to use a thermopen instead of a braided wire probe?
My guess is folks will say in a preheated cooler with some towels you may be ok for several hours.

Well, probe went through like butter, which is what it is supposed to do, so I pulled it and wrapped in towels and placed in cooler. Hopefully will hold for a while. I guess the question now is, if it gets to 140F or below, should i pop it back into the oven to bring it back up, or cut it first and then add some au jus to it and let it warm up.?

The smell is absolutely fantastic though!!!

Back