First brisket is done.

Jeremy Erwin

TVWBB Fan
MY first overnight cook is a success I think. I started at 6:30 filled ring with K and hickory. added 25 brikets to chimmney and lit them up. Spread on the ring about 6:55, and went to assemble wsm, found I put to much charcoal in ring to go with the replacment water pan weber sent me which is deeper. Aranged charcoal and got wsm assembled at 7:05, filled water pan and let warm for 25 min while I finished dinner. I but my brisket on at 7:30 with my lid thermoter showing 160*. At 8:30 lid temp showed 180*, 9:30 180*. Inserted instant read thermoter threw lid vent and found acctual temp at 260*. Closed vents to 50% and set up probe thermoter to read surface temp at brisket. Temp down to 245* at 11:30. Adjusted one vent to 30% and went to bed. It was very windy when I went to bed and I had a suffecent wind bolck of trash can supports and my patio table turned on its side. 6am, surface temp at brisket of 222*. Removed probe thermoter, went in house and washed probe and a few other dishes. 6:30am, inserted probe and found an inturnal temp of 200* rechecked in several spots. Brisket is done it wanted to fall apart when I removed it from the wsm. I was expecting this to take 16-20hrs, I am not serving it till 6:00pm tonight. I have it wraped in foil, wraped in a towel, stuffed in my playmate. What are my best reheating methods, how long to reheat, and what went too right to speed up my smoke?

Ive done some more reading and I think I way was way off on my time estiment. It was an 8.5 lbs brisket and 1 to 1.5 hr per lbs it finished right on time.

Correct. Your cook wasn't sped up, it went as one would expect.

Cool the brisket well then wrap and chill. For reheating. place on a rack in a roasting pan, drizzle with a little chicken stock, then cover the pan tightly. Reheat in a 300 oven till then internal of the brisket hits 150 or so. Remove, rest just a few minutes, then serve.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by K Kruger:
Correct. Your cook wasn't sped up, it went as one would expect.

Cool the brisket well then wrap and chill. For reheating. place on a rack in a roasting pan, drizzle with a little chicken stock, then cover the pan tightly. Reheat in a 300 oven till then internal of the brisket hits 150 or so. Remove, rest just a few minutes, then serve. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks, Kevin. Sometime I'm going to read your threads and try to glean all I can, but it's great to find these gems that help with things I know might happen.

I've decided that, if smoking for guests, I would rather be finished early and keep or make the meat ready when needed than to be struggling to finish and setup the meal with the pressure of everyone waiting. Usually that's just an hour or two, but this is a great tip for a long wait -- or for reheating, of course.

Rich

Back