First Brisket Help

Matt Eppert

I am doing a low-heat Flat that I purchased from Sams Club. Can I use the same rub that I make for Pork Butt? Any other tips or tricks to make this cook turn out?

Cook it fat side down. Foil at 160f cook until tender. After you slice it brush each slice with the reserved juices from the foil mixed with beef stock to taste.

Thanks for the reply. The flat is only about 5.5 lbs. If I want to have it for dinner tomorrow night, Should I start it about 4:00am? I am not sure how long the approximate cooking time is. I need to accout for the stall etc. All comments are certainly appreciated. The temp will be in the low 30's.
Thanks!

Matt, per Travis, foiling at 160F or even lower will eliminate the stall and reduce cooking time substantially. Assuming 225-275F cook temp @ 5.5lbs, you can get away with starting as late as 10am as long as you foil between 140 and 160F. When you foil, add some beef broth to the package.
For rub, I would use something heavier than a butt rub. You can search for beef rubs here. The flat has less connective tissue than a packer so you need to keep more of an eye on tenderness than temp for finished state. Use a skewer if you have one to test by inserting it into the thickest part.
When done, use the package juices to create a sauce/jus/gravy and apply it to your sliced meat when serving. I serve a jus on the side.
If your want a more firm crust, unfoil around 30 ninutes before doneness and put the flat back on dry heat. This can be the smoker, or easier, a dry oven at the same temp.
Brisket seems to be one of the hardest cuts to master but it's still low and slow BBQ. It will forgive as long as you don't kill it.
Worst case, if you aren't happy, toss what you have in a crock pot with some root veg and liquid and you will get a great smoky day after stew. Add some potatoes or serve over rice and it will still be something you can be proud of.

Good luck !

As a fan of putting dinner on the table, vs. purisim try this.

Don't use a pork rub. Use some Morton's seasoned salt and pepper as your first go around should work fine.

Since its such a small flat, at 160 put it in a shallow aluminum disposable pan pour a good bottle of ale beer, (like an Anchor Steam) in there with some minced garlic. Cover with foil and put back in the WSM. Cook it until a toothpick goes through the thickest part with almost no resistance. Then slice it against the grain on a bias (hold the knife like this / not |) At 225 this will take about 8-10 hrs for a flat your size.

I'm sure a lot of people on here will cringe at his advice. Brisket is HARD to do the traditionalist way. Takes literally years to master. This at least 9 times out of 10 will give you a edible piece of meat, vs a hunk of shoe leather. You can always keep refining your technique.

The Brisket hit 160 after only 3 hours. Is this normal? I followed the previous posts and foiled it and put it back in the smoker. Am I doing this right?

Matt, your right on. Just keep checking temps every 30-40 minutes or so. When it feels like a hot knife through butter when probed she's done. I like to pull off a little before then so it can sit in the foil for a couple of hours and doesn't get too mushy.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At 225 this will take about 8-10 hrs for a flat your size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Will - Given the foiling, 8-10 hrs is huge overkill and will give you a really dry pot roast. Also, if slicing on an angle on the bias your blade should look like this \ not like this / .

Matt - You're right on target for the flat size. Per Paul, keep a close eye on tenderness while foiled. I wouldn't try and pull it early for residual cooking unless you're really comfortable with doneness. I'd pull it when done and serve around 30 minutes later.

Remember to use or save the foil juices. They marry with the rub when sitting in the package and have huge flavour.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by James Harvey:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">At 225 this will take about 8-10 hrs for a flat your size. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Will - Given the foiling, 8-10 hrs is huge overkill and will give you a really dry pot roast. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're absolutely right. I posted late at night right before bed and I was thinking timings for unfoiled.

Back