First brisket flat, in competition against my roommate

Steve P. (Timmee)

TVWBB Member
So, I cooked my first brisket today, as part of a "competition" against my roommate, his brisket recipe, and his crock pot slow cooker. Mine was cooked on my 22.5" OTG with Kingsford Hickory briquettes and applewood chips. It came out a little dry overall, but had a great flavor.

On the grill:

brisketgrill.jpg

A pic of the plated briskets (mine is the one at the top of the plate with only one slice left):

brisket2.jpg

A closer picture of the last slice, with a decent look at the smoke ring:

brisket3.jpg

Everyone that judged the briskets liked mine better (even my roommate), but both briskets were good.

Opinions, suggestions, or questions are welcome.

I nominate you the winner! It looks perfect in that top shot. I also like the setup and there's no way his had the smoke flavor yours had. I usually do that size cut on my Mini WSM.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Marc B:
Keep up the battle, the smokers always have to win vs the crock-pots </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What HE said but it's really no contest.

Great Cook Sir!

Congrats Steve. Nicely done. A dry brisket usually means a bit overdone. I've done briskets for a few years now and just feel like I'm finally getting a grip on it -- can be tricky. Enjoy your Memorial Day weekend!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. Next time, I'm going to foil the brisket, and hopefully get some pictures of the finished product before cutting it (that's something I always forget to do).

Back