First Brisket --- Dry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McManus

TVWBB All-Star
Did my first brisket Sat night/ Sunday. Great tasting Q, but the flat section was very dry. Hoping for a little advice pointers. Here's a synopsis.

13 lb packer, huge point section (like Midnight Brisket pix). Trimmed per instructions. Pre-rubbed on Friday night for a Saturday night cook.

Started WSM w/ Minion method, full basket unlit, 20 lit coals. Oak and a little hickory for smoke wood. Assembled cooker, water in pan, put on meat. Temperatures starting to rise, close all bottom vents in hopes to stabalize, targeting 240 dome temperature. Check one hour later, dome temp is 300! Find one vent 100% open, not closed. Berate myself for not using a flashlight to check vents in the first place, close vent wait. 30 mins later, still 290. 1.5 hour later, finally falling back to 250. Meat temp (polder probe) is 148, three hours into cook. Fill water pan, double check temps (240), go to bed. Check 4.5 hours later, dome temp 240, meat temp 165, check again at the 10 hour point Dome 240 meat 180. All's well. At the 12 hour point, the polder says 188. During calibration it was a little low, so I think real meat temp is around 190-192, double check w/ intant read at several locations in the flat and find range from 178 - 182. Leave brisket to cook some more. Continue to check temps, polder never gets above 188, and the instant read never show a temp higher than 186 (calibrated to 212 perfectly). After 16 hours, and general temps of 188 or so, the hunk of meat looks and feels done. I pull it.

I cut the point section off, wrap in foil put it in cooler. I cut the remaining fat off to flat, wrap in foil, and rest in cooler for 30 mins.

The flat slices pretty nice, has to be thicker pieces to stay together. Taste is decadent! Overall a big hit, BUT in my mind, flat is DRY DRY DRY. Sauce helps, but it seemed "towel in your mouth" dry to me.

What went wrong here. OK 3 hours at almost 300 degrees probably didn't help. Could too much of the fat "melted" off during this time? I also cut the fat off before wrapping in foil. Won't do that next time. I also can't help but think it was just left on too long. I checked calibration before (and after this cook) and understand quite well the temps out of the thermos. Is the flat section normally dry anyway? I'm a little new the brisket game, so I'm not exactally sure what the target should be. Seems there should be some element of moistness to it, even if its not much.

In the end, the flavor of the meat was fantastic and I'd serve it again and again. I just think that there's ample room for improvement.

Sorry for the length of the post.

Your therms sound like a problem, you ended up with an over cooked brisket. The fact that you had to slice in thick pieces to keep it together is a sure sign.
Internal temp is a guide but feel is the best guide to a finished brisket. Your problem is you really don't know where your finish temp was.
You could have pulled the brisket wrapping it in plastic wrap and foil, placed in a dry cooler once it reached 180? internal. It would have continue to climb in temp while in the dry cooler
and tenderized. This method is used by some outstanding competition cooks and has scored well.

You need to get therm that is accurate, I find that once they are off they it's best to toss them.
Jim

#1 Reason. Cut nothing the first half hour. Let it rest.

You can read this in Jim Minion's post also. Say, Jim, it is about time for the long discussion on why letting meat rest isn't it?

I agree with the therm assesment from Jim. I'd double check them with the boil test.

I recently did a 30 hour smoke with 5 briskets ranging from 13 lbs up to 14.5 lbs. I've developed a method that works well for me. I use a maverick probe and try to keep the grate temp at or below 230 for the first part of the smoke. When the meat gets to about 160 I try to keep the grate temps below 225, even as low as 205. My goal here is to keep the meat in the "magic-zone" (160 to 165) as long as possible. When the meat gets to 170 then I foil it and leave it the smoker. I jump the temp up a bit to maybe 260 and let it finish to a temp of 205.

So far I haven't been disappointed with this method. Every one of the 5 briskets I did were literally bursting with juice and fell apart. There were some dry spots on the outer edges of the flat, but all in all, they were fantastic.

I think that the high temps you experienced had a drastic effect on the meat. Some of the early briskets I did came out dry and based on what I've read here I decided to take the temps down a notch. Since I've been using the method noted above I've been very pleased with my results. The bottom line is, keep those temps down in the early stages.

Oh yeah, like they say, don't cut it until it's rested. I've learned that the hard way too. The juice with literally pour out. Letting it rest an hour or two can make all the difference.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Hindsite is always 20/20. Why did I separate the flat and point section...dumb, I know better. After I separated the two sections, it did rest for 45-60 mins. Guess the damage was done by then anyway. Why didn't I check the vents with a flashlight...dumb, lesson learned. My instincts were telling me to pull it much sooner, but I didn't listen.

Had to boil some water last night for pasta, so I took the opportunity to double check thermo calibration. All read slightly low, about 4 degrees or so.

The butts, chicken, and ribs I've cooked so far on the cooker all came out great, no problems. It was about time for me to have a bigger challenge. At least the meat tasted great. My "diners" couldn't understand why I was so disappointed. I'm just looking at this as part of the smoking experience. Sometimes it's not knowing what TO do, but rather what NOT to do. I've identifed those, and I'll practice again this weekend.

One final question, when can you tell your Q'in obsession has graduated from a mere enfatuation to a deep rooted passion?

As your collection of cookers and accessories grows it is a sure sign your hook deep in the gullet.
Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back