First brisket cook!

Dave M..

TVWBB Member
Hey all! I've had my smoker for a few months now and love it. I've yet to tackle a brisket and today is the day. I finally finished all the prep and everything is about ready to go on. The lump is running a bit hotter due to the wind and sun than I was hoping, but it's holding around 250, so that's not too bad I guess..target was 225. I have some spares going on which I know will be good, in case the brisket is...a brick :) I plan to take it foil the brisket once the temp hits 150 and remove at 200 to rest in a cooler for a bit...let me know if folks have major objections to the method..I'm following a recipe I found from the amazingribs.com site.

Anyway the hard part is over, now I get to lay back...these two are about to go on! :cool:
brisketandribs_zpsf233c92e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Well, my 3lb or so brisket flat that I purchased from the store is coming along nicely. 2 hours and 20 minutes into the cook the brisket had reached 152F internal temp, and I put it in an aluminum foil pan with some beef broth, and covered the whole thing with foil and put it back in. Now 4 hrs 30 mins in, it's 197f and I'm going to take it off when it hits 203, for some odd reason - as people seem to like that number for brisket. The ribs smoked for 3 hrs and are now into their foil stage enjoying a warm honey, apple juice, and brown sugar bath :) Pit temp holding solid at 230F.

I am almost afraid that I hit it out of the park on the first swing and will never be able to duplicate it...it was that awesome! We couldn't believe how tender it was..a little bit of heat... but with this sweet glaze that I made - partially of the liquid I took out of my foil from the ribs after they were in the smoker for 2 hrs (honey, brown sugar, apple juice), and some au jus from the brisket which was mixed with beef stock. Ladling that on added a whole new sweet dimension followed by the spice and heat of the rub slightly afterward.
brisket2_zps1cb22695.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back