First Briket Flat In the WSM 22.5

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So learned a few lessons today, number one is that my WSM loves a "C" shaped fire of lump to keep a 225-250 for hours. Lit at one end of the C only.

Number two is don't let drop dead fabulous Ribs on your first cook let you get too cocky. So I meant to pull the five pound flat at 200 and keep it sealed in foil in a insulated cooler with towels top and bottom. Checked it and it had climbed slowly to 192 internal, twenty five minutes later, *********216********* S@$%!
Took her off and kept it in the aforementioned cooler for an hour and a half. Pulled it and started slicing. Wow that sucker stayed hot!
Bottom line is the taste is fabulous and it pulls apart really easy but it is dry. At least drier than I like.

You got to start somewhere, anyhow the family liked it and scarfed a bunch up and there is plenty for sandwich's the next few days.

So I had done a Worcestershire Sauce rub down, then some Texas Wild Rub, let it set up for a couple of hours. Smoked it at 225-240 for a few hours till it got an internal of 165.
Foiled it after adding some Beef broth, apple juice and some left over barbecue sauce mix to the foil, about a 1/4 cup and sealing her up, back on the smoker for the remainder. Other than screwing up and not getting her pulled at 200 degrees is there anything else I could have done. Or better put, is there something I could have done after the 216 degree temp that could have kept her a little more moist inside?
Oh, I did not inject anything as I do not own an injector, yet.

Looks god from here Bill. As to what else you could have done I cannot say. As to adding moisture? Maybe let it soak in broth uncovered? Thats what I would have tried had it been too dry. But I am curious, did you pull it less than 192 but planned for 200? I know with tri tip you pull it about 10 degrees from desired temp and just let it rest without foil. Not sure if that helps as its a different cut.

Brisky looks great to me!!!! I've done a few myself, each one, is always a little different. Depends on the cow, I guess. Yours looks great!!!!!!

This is good timing, I plan on doing this tomorrow on my 18.5". Glad to hear it's possible to get good results, I hope to share my own tomorrow. ;)

Everyone has their own spin on how to do brisket, but for smaller ones or just the flat, I'd foil it at around 170 and then take it to 195 or 200. By foiling it'll steam in its own juice and won't go dry on you. If you go much over 200 it's hard to slice, it'll just crumble on you. If I'm going to save it for another meal, I'll put it in a aluminum tray and add a little beef broth and worshy sauce so when you reheat it'll still be very moist. Just my opinion of course.

Back