first Boston Butt

Tim (the grillaholic)

TVWBB Super Fan
Heres some pics from my first boston butt.
017.jpg
The butt with the rub on it.

018.jpg

Not quite ready.
020.jpg

3 racks of baby backs on the top rack. 3 hrs on the WSM.
022.jpg

Boston butt, 12hrs on the WSM. Ready to be wrapped in foil.
023.jpg

Had to try some Piggles!
025.jpg
Ribs ready to come off.(4.5 hours on the top rack) 2 racks using the BRITU recipe, 1 rack dry rubbed using a memphis style rub.
032.jpg

The Piggles fresh off the grill! They didn't last long!!
034.jpg

Sorry guys, forgot to take some picsof the pulled pork, and some plate pics. Will do better next time!!
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Gee, pic #3 is "Not quite ready"??? The way that bone's sticking out, I'd have been surprised if you were able to take it off in one piece.

Nice!

Nice looking eats. The one thing I would suggest in the future is to foil your water pan for easy clean up. Vince

Originally posted by TravisH:
Gee, pic #3 is "Not quite ready"??? The way that bone's sticking out, I'd have been surprised if you were able to take it off in one piece.

Nice!
Travis, It actually had temps in the upper 180's in several spots. but when I took it off the smoker and inserted the probe (the cake test) it didn't feel quite right in a few places. I placed it back on the smoker (gently) and let it sit on the bottom rack for another 45 minutes. It really surprised me how (people that have never shown an interest in bbq) were amazed at how cleanly the bone slid out!
icon_biggrin.gif

It really surprised me how (people that have never shown an interest in bbq) were amazed at how cleanly the bone slid out!

It is pretty cool when people are in awe. Nice cook! That bb looked great.

Originally posted by Vince B:
Nice looking eats. The one thing I would suggest in the future is to foil your water pan for easy clean up. Vince

Do you foil the inside when using water? Just curious is all.

Originally posted by Cory L.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Vince B:

Do you foil the inside when using water? Just curious is all. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes I always foil the pan inside and out. With water or with the clay saucer. If Im not using either I make sure to foil the inside of the pan with a slight air gap. This way the dripping do not burn. This will give off a bad taste IMO if you do not leave an air gap in an empty pan. Hope this helps. Vince

Back