First bbq competition

I'd fill those boxes with a more meat. Judges like to be able to choose. You don't want that last judge being dissapointed with the worst looking piece of brisket or the smallest rib.

Thanks for the information. It was my first ever competition I had more brisket ready for the box but family and friends ate it when I walked away to get something! I did not cook enough ribs had a rack that did not turn out well. I am looking to buy a 22.5 wsm so in the future I will have more cooking space and also not let people into the prep area next time. We did place 133 out of over 500 teams even with the mishap.

Always learning

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Randell Hilton:
Thanks for the information. It was my first ever competition I had more brisket ready for the box but family and friends ate it when I walked away to get something! I did not cook enough ribs had a rack that did not turn out well. I am looking to buy a 22.5 wsm so in the future I will have more cooking space and also not let people into the prep area next time. We did place 133 out of over 500 teams even with the mishap.

Always learning </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

hilarious!

pic 8 looks like you sliced the brisket with the grain instead of against? Can't see if the slices in the box are as well, but if so, and you had low brisket scores, that could be why?

Also on brisket, try to do whole slices not the half slices like it looks like you did & fill the boxes w/ maybe enough to give judges plus table capt some. I try on chicken to get a 3x3 box if I can else 8 servings in a 3-3-2 pattern of some kind. On ribs, I try for 2 rows of 4 or 5 ribs each, butt just fill it with a mix of chunks & pulled maybe sliced money muscle if that turns out. Some good ideas can be found on website BBQ Critic.com

I've been in the boat to where I some of the crowd take meat while I was trying to do my box. They just came up watched for a bit then just grabbed w/o even asking. I almost blew my stack over that & instead I just wrapped meat back up & acted like it wasn't fully done & back onto the smoker for a bit as I still had plenty of time. I learned from that that if I'm by myself to have my canopy sides up as that keeps leakers from coming in as I can deal w/ family.

Thanks for the info and suggestions. I have a comp. In june and doing the american royal again in october I will post pics and results after each.

Back