First attempt with WSM approaching

Sam Z

Hey everybody. New to the forum, put a brief intro up.

Started in this hobby with a cheap Brinkman. I was enjoying it but maintaining and fighting the temperature constantly was tough. I have two young kids and I can't sit near a smoker for hours at a time. Every review that I have read pointed to the WSM as THE charcoal smoker to use, so I ordered.

Here's my plan for my first set of ribs, from everything that I've read. Please, point me in the right direction if you see an issue:
-Off the counter pork rub, pull the membrane off, nothing really fancy.
-Minion method, a few pieces of hickory at the start. Unlit charcoal in a donut shape / hollow center. Around 20 or so briquets added.
-Bottom vents at half, cut them back if temp is roaring up quick. Top vent wide open.
-3/2/1 method on ribs.

Please chime in. I'm pretty psyched about getting started, I just remember the pain in the wazoo that the brinkman was (even with all of the suggested mods).

Thanks in advance, looking forward to contributing here.
-Sam

Most everything sounds good. I would not make a complete donut with your unlit. Either remove 15-20 from the center to create a depression, or just scatter the lit on the top of the unlit.

3-2-1 is a one way to do it and as originally designed for spares @225. BB or high temps may make them fall of the bone. Maybe want you want, but considered overdone by most.

The only other thing I didn't see you call out is to determine doneness with a toothpick or other small probe. It will go into the meat like a stick of softened butter when they are done.

You will also make some fine ribs without 3-2-1. All up to you.

Enjoy your first cook and let us know how you like them. But we already know the answer to that
icon_smile.gif

I would add one thing...take good notes. It is a learning process and notes are always handy to refer to as you continue the education with future cooks.

Ok keep 'em coming. Thanks.

Question: If I do the donut / hollow center idea and put a few in the depression, do I really load up the unlit charcoal as greatly as possible beyond that?

I agree with Garland, I just started using my WSM and I have notes from the three runs so far. I made notations every 15 minutes on the first three runs and I've learned a lot about the characteristics of the smoker.

i would also add to be sure to catch the temp on the way up, rather than overshooting it.

take into consideration where your wsm will be located. it's been over 100 degrees here the last few days and my wsm would sit in direct sunlight on the patio and that alone could add 25 degrees to your wsm internal temps.

i like to adjust the vents to 25% open once the lid temp reaches the 200 degree mark and give the smoker about twenty minutes to see where it settles in at. if during that time the wsm still seems to climb too fast in temp, then i close the top vent 50% also and see where it settles too.

keep in mind that it is better to start off with TOO FEW lit coals than too many.

good luck and post some pics of your cook in the food **** section.

What David said,keep bottom vents open until 200F and then trim to 25%, and readjust 20-30 min later. Some cooks I have only one bottom vent slightly open, sometimes all three half open. It all depends... keep that top vent open.

As said above, keep notes throughout the cook (weight of meat, outside temp., wind, rub, injection, coals lit and unlit to start, smoke wood, vent adjustments, etc.), and record your final impressions.

If you cook a lot of different meats (spare ribs, babybacks, butt, chuck roast, brisket, etc.) it may be weeks or months between cooks of certain kinds. It always helps to go back in the notes and see what did and did not work.

I keep a running list of my notes, with dates, on a Word document for each kind of meat.

When you are cooking, you think you will never forget what you are doing, but memories fade and the notes will come in handy.

Back