First Attempt at Pulled Pork

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean Strugnell

After 20+ years of grilling with gas, I finally cowboy'd up and got a Weber Performer a couple of weeks ago. After a bit of a learning curve managing temps while grilling, I have been enjoying it immensely. I have made steaks, beer can chicken, sausages, hamburgers, etc. The usual grilling fare - nothing crazy.

After finding this board and seeing all the posts about being able to smoke at low heat on a kettle, I decided to try it out. I have always enjoyed pulled pork, and after finding out it is hard to screw up, that was going to be my first shot at smoking.

I ordered a pork butt from the local butcher. Picked it up yeasterday (8.8lbs) bone-in. Last night at about 11pm, I trimmed at least 1 lbs of fat off one side of the roast and sprinkled it with salt. After waiting for the salt to bring some moisture out of the meat (about 20 minutes), I applied a generous amount of "rub for Jane" from the recipe section of this forum and put the butt in fridge at midnight.

Then I went out to the back yard and prepped the kettle. I used 2 Fire bricks on their sides to cordon off 1/3 of the bottom grate for charcoal. Then I foiled the remaining 2/3 of the grate and used 2 more bricks (laying them flat) as heat sink and to help temps rebound quickly if I peek too much. I then placed a foil drip pan on top of the fire bricks below where the meat was going to go and placed the top grill on the kettle.

I filled up the charcoal resevoir with lump to the point where the charcoal was over the height of the bricks (I kept one of the hinged openings of the top grate open) mixing in 6 chunks of white oak from Smokilicious throughout the charcoal load.

Then I went to bed.

06:11:12 start - man that wa sa short night. I should have done the prep work earlier.

Anways, I used my brand new Maverick ET-73 thermometer and probed the butt in its thickest section and clamped the grate thermometer next to the butt.

I lit 8 pieces of lump in chimney with redneck starter (weed burner fueled by my now underutilized propane tank), dumped the lit on top of the pile of unlit and slapped the butt on the grill.

06:24:54 grate thermometer read 114 but the built in lid thermometer read 350.
Closed bottom vent to just under 1/2.

06:31:27 grate 173 lid 350. Closed bottom vent to under 1/4.
06:38:19 grate 206 lid 320.
06:41:29 grate 220 lid 325.

Closed bot vent to a sliver.

06:57:42 grate 250 lid 350.
07:07:09 grate 262 lid 350.
07:19:44 grate 273 lid 350.
07:38:27 grate 285 lid 360. Closed bottom vent completely.
07:55:53 grate 274 lid 340.
08:06:40 grate 273 lid 340. Closed lid vent to 50%.
08:37:51 grate 276 lid 320

OK - so something doesnt seem right with my grate temps. I think maybe it was too close to the meat and wasn't giving me a proper reading. I removed the smoker probe from grate clip and dangled it through the lid vent so that the probe was reading the temp just an inch or so above the meat. Smoker probe immediately spiked up to 298. This was close to the lid temps that I had been seeing, and that seemed a bit too hot.

Closed top vent to 1/4 open. Bottom vent still copmpletely closed.

08:59:50 smoker probe 264 lid 275 Meat 135.
09:29:30 smoker probe 253 lid 270 Meat 146.
10:29:00 smoker probe 254 lid 270 meat 158.
10:53:29 smoker probe 293 lid 290 Meat 160.

Still too hot and the meat is cooking way to fast (company coming for dinner, not lunch). I didn't want to close the lid vent any further than 1/4 open because the smoke needs to escape somehow, so I remembered some folks had used a small foil pan filled with water on top of coals to act as a heat sink. I found a small pan and loaded it up with hot water and placed it above the coals (The coals had burned down enough so that I could close the hinged grate)

11:08:03 smoker probe 237 lid 275 Meat 161.
11:26:19 smoker probe 242 lid 265 Meat 163
11:49:17 smoker probe 241 lid 260 Meat 166
12:07:28 smoker probe 240 lid 255 Meat 167

Ok - the tems seem much more in control now, so I stopped babysitting the kettle.
12:40:23 smoker probe 246 lid 250 Meat 170
13:10:12 smoker probe 248 lid 250 Meat 171
13:36:25 smoker probe 242 lid 255 Meat 171
14:07:08 smoker probe 225 lid 240 Meat 170

OK - because I read up on "the plateau" I am not panicking that the meat temp has not moved in almost an hour and a half. The kettle has now been firing for almost 8 hours and it finally occured to me to check my fuel. I popped the lid open and saw that the lump had burned down to about 1/4 of its original capacity. I stirred the coals to dislodge some ash and mix some of the lit coals with a section that was not burning at all, and threw in three handfuls of unlit lump. The probe and lid temps spiked a fair bit right away probably because I stirred the coals and had the lid open for a few minutes, but they both settled down within ten minutes or so.

14:36:20 smoker probe 261 lid 250 Meat 169. Still waiting for the meat to get through this plateau, but my timing seems good. I plan to cook to 195(ish) and if it gets there soon, I am ok because I have a cooler and some foil & towels on stand-by.

I will update the thread in a while.

So far so good.
icon_smile.gif

No worries, butt is bulletproof.

Personally, for PP, I'd let it get closer to 200º before taking it off.

If you're going to pull it right away, you don't really need the cooler and towels. Just foil it and let it rest at least an hour. Even then, it'll probably still be too hot to pull.

You only need the cooler if you need to hold it for 3~4 hours or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by TravisH:
Personally, for PP, I'd let it get closer to 200º before taking it off.

If you're going to pull it right away, you don't really need the cooler and towels. Just foil it and let it rest at least an hour. Even then, it'll probably still be too hot to pull.

You only need the cooler if you need to hold it for 3~4 hours or so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK - I will shoot for 200F as my new target. It is also now 4PM and meat temp just hit 179 (2 + hours at 171!) so looks like I will not be needing the cooler to hold the roast for any length of time. Although this morning I was worried the roast was going to be done hours before my guests arrived, now I am really glad I got my butt out of bed at 06:00.

Thanks for the input. I have learned a lot from the forum.

OK - here is the rest of my cook log:

As per my earlier post, the butt plateau'd at 12:40. At about 15:15, I relocated the probe to an alternate location (a slightly thinner section of the butt, and it registered 175. Cooking at an approximate temp of 250, the butt temp did not progress until 15:45. At 16:00, the meat probe was up to 178, and now I was beginning to panic that the butt would not be finished until well after our planned chow time of 18:00. I was also finding that it was difficult to control my 250 to 270 heat range in the kettle after my initial minion burn fuel was gone. Adding coals tended to spike the temps up as soon as they were thrown in, and I had to keep fiddling with both vents to keep the temps under control. So, since my dinner time countdown and my low temp abilities were both injeopardy, I decided to cook it at a higher temp for the rest of the way. It was very easy to keep the kettle at a pretty steady 310 to 325 degree range. All I did was add a small handful,of lump avery 20 minutes or so.

I put the meat probe back in the thicker part of the butt and cooked until it hit 196 at 18:22. I would have cooked it a bit longer, but factoring in a 30 minute rest meant that we were going to be eating one hour past our scheduled time (and my kids get grumpy when they don't eat). I tried the tenderness test by sliding the probe into several different areas, and there were some spots where it slid in with absolutely no resistance. In other areas (noteably the thicker parts), there was some resistance, but it was pretty tender.

Anyways, off it came, and I put it in a roasting pan and tented it with foil while we got the corn boiling. 30 minutes later, we had a pulling party, and man was that fun. The meat was so tender and juicy - we ate a lot as we were pulling it.

Everyone enjoyed it immensely. As I mentioned, I used the "Rub for Jane" rub that can be found in the recipe section, and it was amazing. I was worried about so much chili powder, but the slow cook really took the edge off of it. Don't get me wrong, the bark definitely had a bite to it, but my two daughters who will not eat anything spicy were quite happy with their sandwiches because we limited their meat to non-barky-bits.

Lessons learned:

Lump is the way to go. I have been using Kingsford, but man o man, does that stuff produce a lot of ash. After my entire 12 hour cook, I bet there was only a cup and a half of ash residue at the bottom of the kettle. I will definitely use lump from now on.

The kettle can do "low and slow". After I figured out that (a) my grill probe was reading too low (I guess that is why Weber put in the lid thermometer), and relocated it through the top vent, and (b) that the water pan over the coals really helps, I was able to dial in 250 until 14:00 without adding fuel and with minimal fiddling with the vents. I probably could have gone longer if I had not have been running at such a high temp for the first couple of hours. But anyone that thinks they can't go for 8 hours on a kettle is dead wrong.

Anyways - thanks to everyone that contributes to this board. I learned a lot in a short amount of time. I think I might try some beef ribs next weekend.

Nice post!
icon_smile.gif

I found that I had to run with completely closed bottom vents and the top vent at 1/4 - 1/2 open to keep the temperatures within reason. I guess that the kettle isn't that airproof, so lots of air gets sucked in anyway.

Yes - I am wondering if the hole for the propane starter tube in my Performer is the culprit. The propane burner tibe is in there reasonably tight, but I doubt it is air-tight. A lot of people are able to cook low with the bottom vents open a sliver, so perhaps they have the OTG or OTS models without the additional "vent".

The main thing is you got through the cook, and yes I have never had a bad but on the weber. Just thought I would add my thoughts to how I do my long slow smokes.

1. I set the charcoal up to burn fuse style.
2. I cook it over night. I get 8 hours of smoke/burn at 250 or so with the fuse setup.
3. I put a pan of water in the kettle, its a big pan placed directly over the fire and it lasts until the morning.
4. I use stubbs as a compromise between kingsford and lump. It has more ash than lump, and doesn't burn as hot, but its more predictable and doesn't spark nearly as much. I don't think I could do a consistant burn with lump in the kettle.
5. I didn't touch the lid at all during the cook (I was asleep
icon_smile.gif
)

6. Lastly I was running out of time, so put the butts in a pan with water, and foiled them and put them in the oven at 350 to finish them off that way. (hurts my soul to say that, but I had two hours to go, and I knew I wouldn't make it at 250) in the Kettle).

Any rate anything that gets you good butt is worth it, thanks for sharing your cook. (Next time take pics.
icon_smile.gif
)

J

When I Q on my OTG I use 2 bricks and foil under the meat side. I set the bricks up so there is 1/4-1/3 of the cc area left. Fill the cc area up to the top of the bricks and add just a few lit pieces (briqs 4-8, Lump about the same of medium size pieces) put your smoke wood close to the lit. Leave the bottom closed and the top 100% open, when 200-225 I close the top to 50% and she will run 250-300 for hours (6-8). No water for me!

Anyway, that's what my OTG likes.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
1. I set the charcoal up to burn fuse style.
2. I cook it over night. I get 8 hours of smoke/burn at 250 or so with the fuse setup.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
J - I too have smoked for several hours using my OTS, but never overnight. However, I'll be doing my first pork butt next May for my graduation party, and I'm curious about burning charcoal in a "fuse style" that you talk about. Can you elaborate on that?

Barret

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by barret:

J - I too have smoked for several hours using my OTS, but never overnight. However, I'll be doing my first pork butt next May for my graduation party, and I'm curious about burning charcoal in a "fuse style" that you talk about. Can you elaborate on that?

Barret </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here you go...

IMG_0044.JPG

j

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JHunter:
Here you go...
IMG_0044.JPG

j </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Gotcha; that makes sense. Thank you so much!

Barret

That's pretty clever!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by barret:

Barret </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here you go...

IMG_0044.JPG

j </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back