First attempt at a Brisket

There was awhile where I was in the 160-170 range as I learned how the kettle reacted to vent manipulation. Also had temps in the 260 area for 5-10 min at a time as I got control. I usually am grilling on high heat so vents are wide open.

Well, I have to say that your cook has me completely mystified. Long story short, it shouldn't be possible. There's a piece missing somewhere.

Sorry I've discombobulated you.

As an electrician though, I'll tell you I've seen things that electrical theory say's is impossible.

The pink color can just be a factor of the lighting. Here's one from Saturday that as you can see is pulling apart

4MbRcM9.png

The pink color can just be a factor of the lighting. Here's one from Saturday that as you can see is pulling apart

4MbRcM9.png

Most likely that is what it is, I am lucky my finger wasn't in the picture. I am horrible at taking a picture.

Yeah, but Brian said that while it wasn't as pink as the picture showed, it was close to it.

Brian, brisket is different than a ribeye or a filet. If you cook it to mid-rare / medium at a chamber temp of 200ish or higher, it's going to be tough as shoe leather. The reason for this is that brisket contains a ton of connective tissues. These tissues start to break down at 140-150 degrees internal, but it takes a real long time at that temp. If you are cooking at 200+, by the time the breakdown occurs, the internal temp of the meat will be in excess of 185 degrees. At that temp, meat isn't pink unless it's been changed by a chemical process (picture a well done steak).

One thing that can change it is the chemical reaction that causes a smoke ring. The myoglobin in the meat reacts with nitric oxide and carbon monoxide producing and remains pink instead of changing to brown (the color it changes to at higher temperatures).

Something else that can change this is the use of sodium nitrite which is what gives bacon, ham and other cured meats their color even when cooked to high temperatures. That's why I asked if it was possible that you grabbed a corned beef brisket which is just a regular old brisket that has been cured.

Back