First and 2nd Brisket

Bryan Marriott

TVWBB Member
Here are some before and after pics of my first brisket done on the Performer. The first brisket is from Costco. The second one (uncooked) is from a Butcher. It is fat side down. Pix were taken with iphone so white balance not perfecet. Future photos will be taken with the Nikon.

Costco%20Brisket.JPG

After BBQ

Brisket%20done.jpg

Brisket from butcher (supposidly better quality than costco but I am not good at picking meat yet) This will be the first meat I Smoke on my new smoker this Sunday. Fat side down. I think I may use the recipe off this site and cut fat cap off this time.

meat%20market.jpg

Welcome to the smoke house. The sliced brisket looks nice and moist. The 2nd pic looks like a flat only. The first like a packer.

Mark

The 2nd one does look like a flat. I guess I assumed when I asked for brisket they would give me the same thing I got from Costco. Weird thing is I think the second one weighs more than the first but looks smaller in the pictures. I wanted something around 7 pounds. They had HUGE ones there but I'm not ready for an overnight yet. Want to make sure I can control the temp. Going to do ribs in a few hours for a test run at using the smoker.

Hi Tony

Yea I used wood chips at the time because I did that on my Performer.I purchased apple wood today in the the bigger chunks and using it to do the brisket and butt right now. I'll have to google smoke ring to see what it us supposed to look like. Thanks

for a texas style brisket, I use my performer as well. I use all natural wood briquettes with hickory wood. I brine the meat first for a couple hours, then wash and dry rub with local bbq rub from store mixed with my own black/red peppercorn and ground cinammon. I then smoke for 8-10 hours and get a perfect smoke rings all the time. BBQ texas style brisket is supposed to be pulled meat when done, kind of like pulled pork. But the trick is to also keep it moist inside and not dry. That is where the brine comes in.

I noticed yours has no smoke ring and it looks moist but the meat does not look like you can pull it. Maybe you need to smoke more for a longer time.

Back