First all-nighter, but had high smoker temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curtis D. Fry

I did my first all-night smoke last night. For the most part I think it was a success. As explained in another thread, I cooked up five three lb Butts (2 boneless and 3 bone-in).

I used the Minion method with 20 pre-lit briquettes and a ring full of unlit charcoal.

I used a regular WSM water pan filled 3/4 with Sand.

Upon dumping the lit briquettes into the charcoal pile and assemblying the smoker (all vents 100% open), it took only 20 minutes to reach 200 degrees. So I put the meat on and monitored the temps.

It kept climbing up to 290 at the top grate. I figured it would go down a bit, so I dialed back the bottom vents to totally closed. 4 hours later the temp at the grate was 300 and steady. So I jump out of bed and checked the smoker. All vents still closed (except for the top). No airleaks from the bottom and middle section junction that I can tell. No gaps around the access door and no wind at the time. I decided to carefully remove some of the charcoal and add some cold water on top of the sand pan foil. That brought the temps down to about 260, but that was as far as they went down until the 8 hour mark when they went to 250.

So what is going on with this? The temp outside was 75 during that time. I've searched the archives and done all the troubleshooting I could think of. I also checked my new therm's accuracy against an existing therm I had (I just bought the ET-73). Granted this is only my 3rd smoke, but I didn't think the temps would be so high even then.

Am I missing something?

thanks!

Ok, I've only smoked twice with the WSM, so keep that in mind. LOL

I also start using the MM method and I read on here somewhere to control the temperature on the way. After I spread the hot coals, I put on the meat and reassemble the cooker. Then I let the temperature climb to about 180 and start cutting back the bottom vents. Each time the temperature goes up 10 degrees, I cut back the bottom vents further. By the time it gets to 225 it's pretty steady.

I set my temperature thing to alert me each 10 degrees so I don't have to stand there watching the thing.

Last night was my first over-night smoke too. Took the butt off about an hour ago and wrapped it up. Can't wait to pull it.

on TVWB they say it's easier to control the temp upwards than to bring it back down ... the instructions posted here say <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Add the meat and smoke wood to the cooker immediately <HR></BLOCKQUOTE> assemble the WSM and put in the meat immediately after you place the lit coals in the ring

leave the top vent fully open, leave the bottom vents open 100% until you achieve a lid temp of 200F, then dial the bottom vents back to 25% open (I do this at 190F)

some folks do only one bottom vent at a time ie. when closing down the bottom vents as in the previous step close two fully but leave one 2/3 open, if you need more air open it fully, then if you still need more air begin cracking a second vent

Sometimes I've found it challenging to get the cooker assembled and meat on after placing the lit coals before the coals are really rolling

Curtis,

I agree with Kendra and Shawn, perhaps an earlier chocking of the vets was in order, however, I am inclined to think that smomething is out of round or there is a leak somewhere. Between the sand and the meat I find it hard to believe the temp would stay that high on its own.

Try taking some sand out 2/3 full instead of 3/4. Also, if all the bottom vents are closed and the temp is still up, choke back the top vent.

The MM is great but as Jim Minion will tell you himself, the temp must be controlled on the way up! Have your meat ready to grate and assemble, dump the lit coals on and assemble immediatley. You might have let the temp get to high initially and was harder to get back under control by the time you grated your meat and assmebled the cooker. Hope that helps some!

Curtis,

The rapid rise to 200 degees suggests to me that, although the dome or grate temp was good, the charcoal had become a bit overstoked. Shutting off all the vents stopped new combustion, but it sounds like you may have had a pretty large heat mass going in the belly of the beast. At first, the relatively cool sand was keeping temps down in the cooking chamber, but eventually it too overheated and your cooking temps rose to 290-300.

Sand in the pan has a lot of advantages. Easier cleanup, reduced risk of injury, and reduced likelyhood of spilling water/grease into the charcoal pan are a few of them. Sand does have one big drawback. Once it overheats, it takes a long time for it to cool off. With sand, it is best to start slower and control your temperatures on the way up and avoid having to fight to bring the temps back down.

For your next smoke, start with fewer lit coals. You said you used 20 this time. Next time try 12. Consider closing two of the three vents completely at first and let the dome/grate temperature come up more gradually. Always keep in mind that it is easier to raise the temp than it is to lower it.

There are advocates of water on this forum. By its very nature, your heat sink can't rise above boiling temperature as long as you keep water in the pan. Practice makes almost perfect and you will settle on an approach that works for you.

Good ideas. I probably let the heat get too far out of control before tapping off the vents more.

I did, however, have an out-of-round problem before this smoke, but I adjusted it before I began last night. I also had to adjust the access door as well.

either way the Butts were soooooooo good!!! Couldn't have done it as easily without the Q'ru's on this site.

thanks again!

With sand you just have to control on the way up and that means before it's where you want it to be. First key would be to put the meat on when you assemble the cooker. This controls the rise of the temp. Sounds like it was rising rapidly and already at 200 when the meat went on. Second, start closing the vents back well before you get to target temp, maybe 190 or so. Sand is more convenient and has advantages but it is also easier to lose control of.

We all learn something with every cook.

Paul

Curtis, from your initial post, the main thing I was trying to highlight was this:<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> it took only 20 minutes to reach 200 degrees. So I put the meat on and monitored <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If I understood you correctly (better check after yesterday's post /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif )I think waiting until 200F THEN opening WSM and putting the meat on might have let too much air in (how long was the lid off?), whipped the coals right up and was likely the reason you had difficulties.

Congrats on your successful cook!

Curtis,
With it being so warm when you did this cook you may wan to use fewer lit coals to begin with (10-15). Use more pre-lit coals when it is colder out. Then control your heat early before it gets too high. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back