Firing just a few coals for MM - works great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keri C

TVWBB Wizard
Here I sit with mustard-and-rub bespeckled apron and charcoal-stained hands to share with you something that most of you have probably already figured out, but that I just discovered a few minutes ago. You know how we have problems keeping our coals together when firing up 15 or 20 in the Weber chimney? You know how that bottom grate in the chimney forms that little "pyramid" in the bottom, around which the coals usually fall rather than staying put in a nice little pile? Well, I was contemplating turning the chimney upside down as someone (Jim Warren maybe? don't member for sure) had suggested, but I use a turkey burner to light my charcoal rather than paper, and that would have put the flame too far away. Well, my poor old chimney is so beat up and mistreated that one of the tabs of that grate had come out of its hole. I was pushing it back into place and thought "huh... bet I can take this whole puppy out." I did, flipped it upside down, and replaced it in the chimney so that the "pyramid" was facing down. Now all 17 of my little briquettes nestled together snugly in the middle of the bottom of the chimney for their firebath over the turkey burner, just like they were supposed to. No muss, no fuss. Okay, so I don't pick up on things too quickly; don't poke too much fun at me for just now figuring this out.
icon_smile.gif

Keri C, smokin' on Tulsa Time (ribs, Thai chicken, and chorizo today)

i remember reading somewhere,that newspaper should be able to light the coals even with it turned upside down...cuz its not really the flames from the newspaper that lights the coals, its the heat...cuz the fire dies down pretty quickly...but hey if you got a turkey burner or a jet engine.....much much cooler!!! fire that baby up......
just got a call from the next door neighbor, if everything is ok by my house....hehe i told him it was my cherry wood under my monster ribs....Gdspeed

Now, if you have an elcheapo chimney with a flat-bottom grate, you don't have to worry about such details.
icon_wink.gif

I use an old, generic chimney just for lighting for MM. Has a smaller circumference and a flat grate on the bottom. Works great.

Paul

A large coffee can with both ends removed works as well.

Rath *One time is glad his wife drinks coffee*

We used an old coffee can in our ECB for years, before we even knew they MADE chimney starters. Still do, if we happen to get away without the chimney. An old coffee can lives in the woodbox on the mobile rig for just such occasions.

Don, I do the same thing with the coffee can...works great and is a no fuss process. Mine can take 18 coals befoore it is stuffed. Enough for me to start a propoer MM fire for sure!!

Just back from the "Spa" in Saratoga Springs, NY and lost it all at the track on Saturday (hold the WSM). Oh well, next year I'll get those ponies!!
icon_wink.gif

I have a Juicy Juice can with the top removed and drilled several 1/2 in choles around to aid in the oxygen fueling. I have another with the top and bottom removed. I light up the can with the holes in it next to the WSM (the can is on 2 bricks so the heat stays off the driveway)and then dump them on the unlit coals picking up the hot can with tongs or welding gloves.

Do most people put all the lit coals in the middle like a tower and surround them with unlit ? I have been spreading the lit evenly over the unlit. It has worked okay, but I have some trouble maintaining consistant smoke bacause I am burrying the wood in the unlit coals.

jeff

Greg, I'm just back from the spa myself. No one is allowed to say the words "Seattle" or "Fitz" to me for the remainder of the week.

But other than the actual main event, I didn't do so bad.

Art, not to get off topic but, I'll throw in "Peace Rules" to the not allowed to be said to me ring as well. I had SF and PR in an exacta box and I'm still waiting for those nags to cross the finish line.

I did win the Jim Dandy the next day but it didn't pay out very well. For 2 days at the Spa I came out $40 in the hole! Not to bad!

Boy that Tom Durkin can call a race...I believe he called the opening 1/4 of the Whitney "Punishing"!! AWESOME!

And now...back to the thread!

Originally posted by jeffr hode:
Do most people put all the lit coals in the middle like a tower and surround them with unlit ? I have been spreading the lit evenly over the unlit. It has worked okay, but I have some trouble maintaining consistant smoke bacause I am burrying the wood in the unlit coals.

I follow the same procedure. Bury the chunks of smoke wood and spread the lit evenly over the unlit. Works pretty good for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back