Fired Up the 22

Originally posted by Rob F.H.:
Dan,

I understand the concept, however can't you just use less charcoal in the 22 ring with the same results, i.e. fuel is fuel regardless of the container. I guess what I am trying to say is, let say for instance you have a Ford Pinto with a 10 gallon gas tank and one with a 20 gallon gas tank, wouldn't the fuel economy be the same, assuming you put in 8 gallons of gas?

For example, I am cooking Baby Backs this weekend. My previous cook which entailed some pork butts and 18 lbs of K gave me 13 solid hours of 250° - 260° degrees before starting to descend. So I did the math:

What I know>>>>
18 lbs of K in a 22 ring @ 60 degress ambient w/12 lbs of cold meat = 12 hours @ 250°

then,
What I am assuming>>>>
9 lbs of K in a 22 ring @ 60 Degrees ambient w/3 lbs of cold meat = at least 6 hours @ 250°

What do you guys think? Thanks...

The car analogy is flawed because all things in that example are constant with the exception of the size of the fuel tank.

The 22 has 50% more volume to heat, therefore it will require more fuel to obtain temperature.

Think of it like this, the Pinto may require 8 gallon to go 160 miles but the larger, heavier Excursion will require 20 gallons to go the same distance.

The 18 WSM may require 8 pounds of charcoal to get to a grate temp of 250 degrees in 30 minutes (hypothetically), while the larger (internal volume/air space) 22" WSM may require 13 pounds to obtain the same temp in the same time.

Hope this helps.

Update on my fire ring. Today decided to do some wings. 1/2 unlit lump in expanded metal ring and then I took the 22 ring and placed around it. Figured would help if too much air going through the expanded metal. Worked great. Did MM start with 1/4 chimney lit lump. Couldn't believe I had 200º in only 15 minutes. Held (here we go) 220º by the Weber thermo all the way through. Now if there are anyone out there that does the hand temp method I could not hold my hand on the lid any more then a very brief touch. Definitely hotter than 220º but I am learning to adjust my cooking to the Weber thermo. But, using the 22 ring seemed to work very well. Ran at least 5 hours at a good temp with 1/2 ring (wings were not on that long). Maybe the large ring so we buy more fuel?

Back