FireBoard 2 Drive and Drive Blower 20Cm on 22 WSM!!!

Vinny G

TVWBB Fan
Hello Chris and to all fellow smokers! Sorry haven't bin on to contribute for a very long time. Bin having plenty of get smokes these past few years! I figured it time to now play with Technology and get an ATC. Bought the FiredBoard 2 Dive And the Drive Blower 20 CM. Wanted to share my experience with my first smoke with you guys on the 22 WSM with it. I figured to smoke a whole chicken was the best choice. Because temps didn’t matter to much. And I could get a good feel for the FireBoard 2 Drive and Blower!
Well I started with all the bottom vents close and the top vent open about 1/4. Buried some chunks of wood under the unlit charcoal. Lite 10 pieces of charcoal waited for then to get ashes over and placed them in the middle. Put the sections together and foiled an empty water pan with a clay bottom inside. Set the pit temp to 225 to see what would happen. And she came up to temp in about 45min and stay there. After about 2 hours at 225, I pump it up to 250 and she got there in about 10min and she stayed there steady. Then after about an hour I decided to pump it up to 280! THIS is where it had a hard time. It got to 270 and did want to move any more. I let it try for about an hour and it just wouldn’t budge! So I open the top vent all the way and that did it! Then it sat there for the rest of the cook until the Chicken reached 175.
Overall, I’m very happy with my first smoke with FireBoard 2 and Drive Blower!! My next smoke I will do everything the same. Except I am going to set the top vent wide open. I want to see if she will get to temp and stay there like this smoke did. Or will it over shoot the set pit temp like I have read that has happen to others? I will report back in a few weeks and let you all know!

Hey... I got a Fireboard drive 2 with a pit viper 10CM fan. I have all my vents capped off.. and water pan filled with ceramic briquettes and a pan on top foiled.

I set up my 22 with a weber mini chimney filled with 15 or so briquettes. Ones hot dump them in the middle and assembly. I set my pit temp to 250ish and run with the vents 100% open. I maintain temps great and I have got it over 400 degrees no issues... if running at 250 or lower with the top vent open 100% and my pit gets too hot.. my pitviper fan has a slide to cover the vent intake.. i bever has to use it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221218_211755_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_211755_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Screenshot_20221218_211712_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_211712_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20221218_211655_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20221218_211655_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 16
Hello Issom. Thanks for your input! And Thanks for the pics too!!
So you said “if running at 250 or lower with the top vent open 100% and my pit gets too hot. I was hoping that it would work with the top vent open fully. It looks like what I did with the top vent at 3/4 closed will keep her at that lower steady temp. Most if not all of my smokes are low and slow 225 to 250.
I haven’t bin able to get to smoke since my last post. Weather hasn’t bin cooperating! It’s bin Cold, windy and raining. So let’s hope I see a nice weekend in the up coming weeks to get some smoke on! At that point I will report back on all The Good the Bad and the Ugly!

Hello all. Finally weather was not too bad to get some smoke on. Decided to do some beef jerky. I started out with 5 lite coals and set the FireBoard to keep temps at 180. It came up to temp and only overshot to 190. Then settled in and got back to 180 in about 10+ min or so. After about 1 hour at 180 I decided to bring it down to 170 and it reacted great. In about another 10+ min it came down and keep it steady at 170. Smoke time took about 6 1/2 hours.
So I shut everything down and leave the top vent 1/8…1/4 inch open. I think that is the trick. To start very low and let it work like that from the beginning and you will have very good control!
Next up it will probably be a chuck roast or a port Butt. Lol I just have to hope the weather cooperates. Till next time.

Hello all. Finally weather was not too bad to get some smoke on. Decided to do some beef jerky. I started out with 5 lite coals and set the FireBoard to keep temps at 180. It came up to temp and only overshot to 190. Then settled in and got back to 180 in about 10+ min or so. After about 1 hour at 180 I decided to bring it down to 170 and it reacted great. In about another 10+ min it came down and keep it steady at 170. Smoke time took about 6 1/2 hours.
So I shut everything down and leave the top vent 1/8…1/4 inch open. I think that is the trick. To start very low and let it work like that from the beginning and you will have very good control!
Next up it will probably be a chuck roast or a port Butt. Lol I just have to hope the weather cooperates. Till next time.
I always start my wsm with 10 to 15 lit coals and set it to 225 and leave the vent on the top wide open
. I have never had an overshoot yet and got about 15 cooks under my belt so far... hoping it continues

I really want to keep that to vent open like you said. So next long cook I do I will try it!! I will report back!

Hello all! I was able to get out and smoke some baby back yesterday. Well I am definitely very happy with the way the Fireboard and diver blower 20 cm worked! Issom, I was able to keep the top vent 100% open from the beginning to the end of the smoke. Smoked 3 racks of baby backs for 5hour.
I usually don’t use 2 2 1 method. But I wanted to see how she would react with opening the lid 4 times. Started out with 7 lite coals over a load of unlit with 3 chunks of cherry wood. Set temp for 225. When temps got 220 I put ribs on. Lid detection work. Put lid on and she got to 225 and stayed there for 2 hours. Open up to wrapped the ribs and the lid detection work perfect. At this point I wanted to play with temp control. So and set it for 240 and it got there in know time and stayed steady. Hour later I decided to bring it down to 230. And once again got there in no time and stayed steady. After 2 hours I unwrapped and put the ribs on for another hour. And the lid detection work great. At this point played with temp again and set it to 225. And yes got there and stay steady. 45 min later I sauced the ribs and let them cook for another 1/2 hour. Took ribs off let them rest for 10 min and the rest is History!
The Fireboard and Driver blower 20 cm works GREAT! I am very happy I can leave the top vent open 100% just like I would if I was smoking without it. I have only used the manual controls and my findings are that she has absolutely great temp control! In my opinion if you are in the market to buy a ACT this one Is definitely worth it!

Awesome man.. did u have the fan running from the start? Thats what I do I have the bbq guru pit viper which is 20 cm. I'm thinking of getting the bigger one or do the mod running 2 fans

Hello Issom I started with the lite coals on and put the wsm together. It got up to about 185% on the wsm thermometer. That’s when I set the temp to 225 and that’s when the fan went on. Can’t wait to do an overnight brisket or pork butt now!

Hello Issom I started with the lite coals on and put the wsm together. It got up to about 185% on the wsm thermometer. That’s when I set the temp to 225 and that’s when the fan went on. Can’t wait to do an overnight brisket or pork butt now!
Here u go bud here is today's cook set up

Vinny here is the full run on the cook. I let it run all the way though

Attachments

• 20230213_103548.jpg
    20230213_103548.jpg
    247.6 KB · Views: 8
Hello Issom. Great video! I agree it looks like you can run it both ways. With the top vent open all the way, or 1/4 in open. Both ways hold temp. Maybe like you experienced, on very windy day, you might want to close top vent closed 1/4 to try to keep temps a little more stable? But as you showed the fluctuation of temp that you experienced will not be a big deal. I like you, like to keep the top vent open all the way. Once a gain great video!!

Back