finishing pork butt in crockpot???

Jeremy Laux

TVWBB Member
I am sure this has been covered but I don't have time to search the boards.

I smoked two pork butts last night and had to pull one of them off early. The internal temp was at 180 degrees at the time it rested. I decided to shred it and throw it in a crockpot to finish. Is this okay to do? It's been in the crockpot for 4 hrs+. Seems logical to me but I am second guessing myself this morning.

thanks.

jeremy

If you could easily shred it, it was done. "Finishing" to me, implies that the butt is left whole and then continued to cook somewhere else, be it the oven or crock pot. I cook by feel, and if it was shred-able, then it was done. The crock pot isn't going to hurt it at all if there is some liquid in with it.

Well, the larger butt did shred fairly easy but not like normal. Shouldn't it be okay to cook once shredded in the crockpot to ensure it's done properly? I dont' want to get anybody sick.
icon_smile.gif

The pork will be just fine to finish in the crockpot. I'd recommend adding a little apple juice, maybe some rub and sauce to the mixture as well to keep it moist.

Jeremy, I'm a little curious. Why remove it after 8 hours just to cook four hours in a pot?

Did you have to take it somewhere?

Four more hours and it surely would have been done on the WSM.

As the others said, you'll be fine.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I dont' want to get anybody sick. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Pork is safe long before it's shreddable. 'Done' for pulled pork has to do with tenderness and shreddability, not safety. It's safe at 144.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The internal temp was at 180 degrees at the time it rested. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Jeremy, At an internal temp of 180º, the pork was way past the safe to eat stage. Be very carefull with the pork in the crock pot, it can dry out very fast on you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike R.:
If you could easily shred it, it was done. "Finishing" to me, implies that the butt is left whole and then continued to cook somewhere else, be it the oven or crock pot. I cook by feel, and if it was shred-able, then it was done. The crock pot isn't going to hurt it at all if there is some liquid in with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mike: How do you like your "Old Smokey" Electric? Do you use it more often than your WSM?

Rick

WSM, OTG 22 1/2" with Smokenator

The old Smokey was my first smoker of any kind. It does do a very nice job with meats of any kind. It seals very tightly, and with no open flame, it gets super steamy in there. More of "steamer" than a "smoker" I guess you could say, or maybe call it a "stoker." It does fish extremely well, and it is great in a pinch especially since you don't have to tend the fire or anything. I much prefer my WSM, but the Old Smokey definetely has its place too.

Back