Finished pictures of 1995 Red SS Performer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wayne Dimirsky

TVWBB Super Fan
I finally finished putting my 1995 Red Performer back together. I think it turned out pretty well. The SS top has some scratches and stains but its still useable. The gas assist works great with the new igniter kit.

I want to give special thanks to Gary Michael for giving me one of his new ash catcher bars for this project and to Pat Smith and Gary McD for offering some of their used parts. There is a great bunch of guys here. Well here goes.
grill010.jpg

grill001-1.jpg

grill002-1.jpg

grill003-1.jpg

grill004-1.jpg

grill005-1.jpg

grill006-1.jpg

grill007.jpg

grill008.jpg

grill009.jpg

It was kind of cloudy today so the pictures might not be that great.

Wayne

Superb!

Is the top lid vent cover the original? Mine 1992 has a grey tab on the top vent lid and it has grown discolored over the years. I like the black tab on yours.

Pat

Your welcome for the bracket...your project looks like a great success....your frame looks great w/ the new paint. Just FYI, If you ever do need to replace the two S/S pieces its about $65 for the set. Weber was great (as usual) and just charged me for one piece...I believe it was $32...I was happy and still have my old set in good shape for a future project. Think I need a blue one next....always on the lookout
icon_cool.gif

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. Pat, my vent lid cover is a replacement from Weber. The original one was partially melted because the vent arm was bent down. Gary, I will probably get new SS pieces as I really don't like how mine look. You got a great price on yours. Maybe I will get lucky also. I was also thinking of getting some new wheels. The front ones have flat spots where someone tried to roll it with the lock on. I kind of forgot to paint the rusty looking rear axle. The paint on the frame turned out great. It was paint specifically made for painting BBQ's and stoves made by Krylon.

Now I can't wait to cook on it.

Wayne

Gary, I forgot to mention that I could not get the H washer on the one touch system for anything. I had my Girlfriend push down on the middle of the blades from the top and I tried pushing in the handle to no avail. I finally gave up. My one touch system is tight though so maybe its not needed. I noticed on my Pre 2000 Performer schematic, it doesn't show the H washer as part of the one touch system. The schematic for the regular performer without the ash catcher bar shows the H washer. I may try again in the future. How did you get the washer one yours with the bar?

Wayne

Hhey Wayne, I purchased the one touch system at Ace Hardware. It came w/ all the parts including the "H" washer. I do not recall it being difficult to put on. It was flush w/ the bowl, and the screw that goes through the blades exiting your bowl was long enough, then screwed the Hex nut on. The "H" washer is a little different than the "regular washer" I think the washer is a good idea, as it will provide a spacing so your bracket is not in direct contact w/ the heat of the bowl. You may want to call Weber and tell them you just restored one and Im sure they would send you a new washer at no cost. Did you get the one touch system from Weber or from a local store?

I purchased the one touch system from Ace Hardware and it came with everything including the H washer. The part that goes through the bowl and where the handle goes into seems a tad short when I have the H washer and the bracket on. What is the "hex nut" you are referring to? Mine didn't come with any type of nut that had to be screwed on. I will try again to put it on.

Wayne

Sorry Wayne, Did not mean to confuse you w/ the hex nut...you are correct. The stem goes through all 3 blades and exits. Question...did you make certain you installed the blades correctly? Each one is marked w/ a #1, 2 and 3. It is important the way they are positioned on top of each other. This may be why the stem can not go down further because the blades are stacked too high??

Beautiful job! If I can ever find a nice Performer I'm going to put my 1970's vintage kettle "out to pasture".

Gary,
I just checked my blades and they are stacked correctly. I did get the handle inserted with the H washer installed but now the one touch system is very hard to rotate. It doesn't turn smoothly like it did before I put the washer in or like my other one touch kettle grills. I took the washer back out. Is your OT system hard to turn on yours with the washer installed?

I also have a question about how to install the grill hook that is on the side of the frame that the castor wheels are on. With mine installed, I cannot get the lid to stay open by itself without the edge of the lid hitting the hook. Can you post a pic of yours? Thanks.

Wayne

ayne..I see what you are saying...YES, it was very hard to turn at first, I sprayed some PAM oil in the bowl...after one cook it was as smooth as my other kettles. Just do a cook or two and you wont even tell. But yeah, Id go ahead and put the washer on. At first I thought you meant you could not assemble it / the washer on...mine was super tight as well. The grill hooks, I have just 3 that are infront facing me when I open the lid.(all three are in front of the S/S door that opens, facing me)..there should not be any hooks on the side...is this your question?

ooops read your post again...I see the hook you are referring too. I thought you meant utensil hooks. Honestly, I dont think I messed w/ that hook. I can take a pick though of how it is positioned

Gary, thanks for the pics. Now I see what I was doing wrong. I fixed it and now the lid opens like it should.

I will probably put the H washer back on. I'm going to call Weber just out of curiousity to see what they say about the H washer used with the ash catcher bar. Does anyone who bought one of these new that came with the ash catcher bar, remember if it had an H washer on the one touch system?

I've decided I'm going to get some new stainless pieces for the grill while they still make them. Mine has some rust stains on it that I can't seem to get out. I found some stainless steel polish but that didn't help. I also need to get some more of those plastic inserts that the rod for the lid go into on the frame. Thanks for all of the help and comments.

Wayne

Hey Wayne, I need some of those inserts too. I looked at the schematic again and yeah, I dont know about the washer and the bracket. The guy who I bought mine from, bought a floor model already assembled from ACE years ago. At some point he must of took of the washer because there was clearly a worn spot where it was against the bowl. Looking at the schematic again your correct, I dont see that. My sweeper moves like my others. Heck honestly, It prob wont matter one way or the other, but Im kind of curious. Heres a pic. of mine where you can see there was a washer. After looking at the pic and trying to remember putting it together...it may not be the "H" washer. I think it is just a thin type"regular" washer. When I put the washer on, I remeber being exactly proportion to the burnt ring where one was before.heres a pic where you can see the worn ring.
http://i299.photobucket.com/al...284/gpalasz/bowl.jpg

Looking at my other kettle, the "h" washer appears to be for the newer models. Almost certain now, it is indeed just a "regular" asher.

I wouldnt doubt it, if mine was assembled wrong from the beginning...w/ the washer installed on the bottom. I just put it back together the way it was previously. Looking at the schematic it does not show a washer against the bowl. The washer seems it would be beneficial, but the thing was designed horribly anyways w/ hot ashes falling on the bar. Geez, we act like we are assembling a new space shuttle for orbit..we are talking about old weber grills...
icon_cool.gif
Well..when you talk to Weber let me know so we can put this to rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back